Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Mom's Day Off

   
    Two weeks ago, my new principal arranged for the two of us plus another 6th grade English teacher to meet at the school and discuss goals for the upcoming year. I knew the meeting wouldn't last long, but since I would have to take Vaught to daycare in order to attend, I decided to arrange for a little "me time" afterwards. Even though I enjoy the time I have to myself at the gym or when I go grocery shopping alone, it's been a while since I've had an entire day to just relax and be alone.

    Our meeting was at nine, and based on an estimated leave time at 10:30, I thought of so many things I could go and do or get done. I could...

--get my nails done.
--work out and tan.
--go shopping.
--go thrift store shopping.
--see a movie.
--grab a few new books at Barnes & Noble.
--go home and clean.
--take a nap.

    I debated doing all of these things, but decided on the two that would probably cost me the least amount of money, besides staying home: seeing a movie and hitting the gym!

    I was actually really excited to be having this meeting with my principal. He was genuinely interested in the workshop I recently attended and wanted my ideas for how we could use what I learned in the upcoming school year. When I got my first teaching job three years ago, I didn't hear from my principal all summer until the day I started work at the school. I was never asked, by my principal, or anyone else for that matter, about the workshops and conferences I attended. I was never asked for my input or suggestions, so knowing that my principal was so excited about what I had to share made me feel confident and excited for next year! He also gave me a tour of the school and showed me my new classroom. I love that this is my third time in three years of teaching to be located at the end of a hallway. I can't wait to start decorating my room!

 
 
    Can we appreciate that I still know how to dress like a teacher? Leggings are my go-to. Also, take note that I'm wearing pink... That never happens.
 
 
    I left the school a little after eleven and had just enough time to run home, let the dogs out, change into comfier clothes for the movie, and submit an assignment for one of my online grad classes. My movie was at 12:30, so I got there in time to get Coke and popcorn and a good seat! I saw Jurassic World, and if you've not seen it, you really are missing out! I love the original Jurassic Park movies and thought this new one paid great homage to the originals in several scenes.



    I had put my gym bag in the car that morning, so I went straight from the theatre to the gym. I completed a good leg workout without squatting too heavy (I pulled a muscle last week). I did some ab work after then tanned... I know fake baking is terrible, please don't remind me.


    By the time I left the gym, it was after four; my "day off" was already over! I headed straight to Vaught's daycare to pick him up, and he was so glad to see me. Likewise for me--I'd missed that little chunk! We met Eric at our favorite Mexican joint for dinner. We forgot a spoon for Vaught, so we improvised with a suck-suck I still keep in his diaper bag for some crazy reason. As long as he gets his guacamole, he's good to go!
Grilled chicken and veggies: my new favorite Mex plate!


    I enjoyed my day to myself, but do we ever really get a day off, Mamas? I don't think so. I wasn't at all worried about Vaught today, but I did think of him often. I guess I felt a little guilty that I left my meeting and went to do a few things for me instead of going to pick him up. Overall, I think it's healthy for us to get a some time to ourselves, but I sure was happy when he was back in my arms!

What do you like to do for "you time?"
Have you ever taken a mom-day-off?

8 comments:

  1. What kind of watch are you using? I like the way that reads out! I rarely get time off, but when I do, I curl up and watch really super bad reality television (think Kardashian/Housewife bad!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor. I love it! There are lots of different models that are even more advanced than this one. Check them out!

      Delete
  2. Oh man, that sounds like such a fun day! I don't mean to sound all pessimistic, but days like that are so rare for me I almost feel like I would be depressed when it was over, like when you're a child and Christmas ends, lol. You got adult time, alone time, and family time at dinner! Sounds like the perfect day, so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see where it can be depressing... I kind of felt that way when I walked out of the gym and it was already after four! Time like that is definitely precious to me, but then I picked Vaught up and realized how much I missed him!

      Delete
  3. I LOVED the throwback references to the early JP movies in the new JW! Loved it! Glad you did too :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like an amazing day! tomorrow i will go tanning and reading in the pier, and then a movie
    xo
    Orly
    coffeebeansandhighheels.com/WP/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Refreshing ones self is the best!
    Cynthia @ craftoflaughter

    ReplyDelete