Wednesday, August 5, 2015

I don't have time for that.

A couple days ago, I was at my desk in my new classroom. I had a million things to do and was frantically scribbling on a notepad in an attempt to organize my thoughts. My mind is known to wander, and I began reflecting on my previous two years (plus a few months) of teaching experience.

I've been through a lot as far as my career goes. If you've been here before, you already know that. If you're new around here, you should know that. I began thinking about it all. I grimace at some of the memories, smile at a few, and laugh at a lot. When it comes to the not-so-great memories, I can't help but become a little worried. What if something like that happens again? What if I mess it up again?

When my former student was helping me move in last week, he asked me, "So, are you nervous for this new year?" Without skipping a beat, I said, "No." When he asked why, I told him, "Because there is no possible way I can screw it up more than I already have."

It's so true. Not to say that I was a complete and total mess my first year or two, but I made a lot of mistakes. Not to say that I was at fault for everything, but I definitely had my bad days. Not to blame anyone else for things that happened, but better decisions, better actions on some people's accounts could have made a world of difference for me. With that being said, there is no possible way I could mess up any more than I already have.

And with that being said, the thought came to me that if things like that happen again. If there's drama, if there's bullying, if there are negative things said to me, my attitude and my response will be simple and polite: "I don't have time for that."

Not to be confused with Sweet Brown...

I don't have time for your bashing and bantering, complaining and reprimanding, bullying and criticizing. I do not have time for it. I have time for constructive, helpful advice and encouragement. I have time to help you carry things when your load is full. I have time to lend a hand when you need it. But all the negative things? I do not have time for that.

I don't have time to whine and complain about how I have to leave my baby behind while I go teach other babies. I don't have time to post on Instagram about how much I miss him while I'm at work and how I wish I could be home with him all day. A large and vital part of my job as a wife and mother, as a woman, is to provide for my family, and it makes me feel good to know I'm doing something that's good for us. I'm proud of that. I have time for that.

So, please excuse this short rant of a blog post. I was on the phone with my cousin, my best friend, Audrey Anna, yesterday, and I told her all about my new motto. "I love it," she said. "I think I'll use that too." Well, good. Make sure you give me credit. Or don't. I don't really have time for that.

And with that, I'm ready. 

No comments:

Post a Comment