Friday, May 15, 2015

Teacher Interview Tricks of the Trade


So you've graduated (or are about to) from an accredited university with a diploma and a licensure that state that you meet the credentials and are fully qualified to teach children anywhere from age 4 to 20. Congratulations! I remember the feeling. Graduating with honors from Ole Miss was one of the best days of my life--not to mention my husband proposed to me that day!

Pre-ceremony with a few of my sorority sisters! L-R: Alex, Courtney, & Sara Beth
So now, the fun part starts, if it hasn't already; you've gotta have a job! If you're anything like me, you've applied to every single school district within a 100 mile radius of your current location. I'm from a small town in North Mississippi, and I put in job applications for at least a dozen different districts. In addition to that, I emailed principals in the county where I really wanted to teach; it paid off because I landed my first job that way!

That's not to say that I didn't have my fair share of interviews though! I actually had five in the months of April and May in 2012 and ended up getting the job of my third interview--the one I had really wanted!

Below are my tips and tricks of the trade for acing your interview, no matter if you're a new graduate or a veteran. I've now interviewed as a teacher nine different times, having been offered four of those nine jobs, having had to turn down two of them, so I feel pretty confident in the tips and tricks I've picked up along the way!

1. Read and Research
Read up on your educational terms. Even if you're sick of the word "differentiation," study back over it because it's very likely that your interviewer will ask you about it. I'll never forget being asked about "looping" in one of my first interviews. It's such a basic educational term, but my mind just went completely blank and I had no idea what to say. Refresh, refresh, refresh! Research the school and the district. Read the minutes from the PTA or board meetings, check out what types of clubs and organizations the school has. Get a good feel for the school at which you're interviewing; I promise your interviewer will appreciate it!

2. Bring a hard copy of your resume... And your portfolio.
So, the resume is kind of a given. However, the portfolio is becoming more and more popular amongst teachers. You can find some awesome portfolio designs on Pinterest, so make one that's tailored to your experience and style. One of my goals this summer is to make my own portfolio with some of my lessons from English and Inclusion classes. Imagine if you were interviewing for a job with a few other applicants and you were the only one there who brought a portfolio for the interviewer to see... My money would be on you, superstar.



3. Dress the part.
Some people still say to wear a suit and tie to your interview, but I disagree. We're teachers, not brokers on Wall Street! I usually wear my nicest pair of black slacks, along with a pretty blouse and cardigan. For my most recent interview, I wore a new coral top, black work-appropriate skinny trousers, and a cream-colored sweater. Oh, and I wore sandals. Like I said, we're teachers. You can dress comfortably and professionally at the same time. As far as makeup, don't pick a teaching interview as the time to try out that new cherry red lipstick; keep it fresh and simple! It's okay to show your own personal style to your potential employers; unless, of course, there's a strict dress code. This is why you do your research first!!

4. Smile and be a good listener.
Be warm and friendly; good teachers always are! Listen closely to what you're being asked, and don't rush into your answer. It's okay to take a moment to think. Remember that your interviewers have been here before--we all started somewhere! If you're asked a question that just stumps you, don't be afraid to volunteer that this is one of those situations where you would seek out the assistance and advice of a more experienced educator or the administration. It shows you're eager to learn and cooperate with others :)

5. Ask Questions
At the end, you'll be asked, "So, do you have any questions for me (us)?" Yes, you do! I prefer to ask about community involvement and the environment of the school. Lately, I've also begun asking about their stance towards the use of meaningful technology in the classroom. Always ask a question or two!

6. Be yourself.
Above all, this is the most important! I can be a little sassy, and after two years, I have finally learned how to work that part of my personality into my interviews (particularly when I'm talking about classroom management), and my administration love it. Show them the real you because if they hire you, that's who they're going to see each day.


I hope this is helpful to some of you! Below I've listed some common and popular teacher interview questions and topics that I've encountered in my career. Practice by having your family or a friend mock-interview you!

1. Classroom management plan
2. How do you help a struggling reader?
3. How do you help a student with an IEP (Individualized Education Plan)?
3. How do you assess your students?
4. What are your future career goals?
5. Team collaboration
6. Common Core
7. Parent involvement
8. Classroom scenarios (look a few of these up!)
9. Grouping (i.e. How do you group your students?)
10. Personal questions (strengths/weaknesses, grade level preferences, etc). Remember that there are certain things interviewers are not allowed to ask you. It's perfectly okay to decline to answer a personal question that surpasses your professional limits (marriage status, children status, religion, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment