Wednesday, July 1, 2015

What I Learned from Being Blonde

   
    All of my blonde friends were super excited when I told them I was going blonde. They were even more excited when I actually got it done and was flaunting shiny new blonde hair. I felt confident as a blonde and was convinced that I'd been missing out on the fun of having such light hair. Until I realized...

1. It stinks. My stylist literally bleached my hair, and for an hour I sat there with what smelt like straight ammonia on my head. My hair had this weird smell for several days. Not only that, but when I used hot tools on it, and I try not to more than once or twice per week, it had a different, putrid smell if the iron was too hot. Ew.

2. It's harder to style. And comb. And wash. And brush. Not sure if this is something all blondes experience, but my blonde hair dried out sooo fast, yet moisturizing shampoo made it too oily. It was almost impossible to run a comb or brush through it, and I would be nearly in tears after drying my hair for how much it hurt to brush with all the tangles.

3. It's expensive. I spent $$$ on hair products for blondes, and if they made any difference at all, I couldn't tell. Also, most dyed blondes retouch their roots (or even completely recolor) every six to eight weeks, and I just wasn't having that.

4. Hair color racism is real. Okay, so this one is meant to be funny, but it doesn't help that every time I did or said something dumb, my husband would say, "Yeah, that blonde hair is really workin' for you, babe." I hope women who are natural blondes or prefer to keep their hair dyed blonde don't really have to put up with that atrocious stereotype on a daily basis.

5. I'm better as a brunette. Or at least a lot more subtle color than blonde. I realized within a few days of coloring my hair lighter that I missed my dark hair. I feel like it looks better on me and is so much healthier for my hair type. It was so much fun experimenting with a new color, but for now I'm gonna stick with the dark side!

My before picture has the total ICK factor!

Clean & healthy hair!

2 comments:

  1. I've been blonde about twice in my life and each time I've reverted back to a dark brunette color. Blonde hair is definitely a lot harder to work with and manage. And it really does stink! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it really does! I will probably experiment with a lighter color again at some point down the road, but for now I want to stay dark!

      Delete