Thursday, February 12, 2015

Love & Lilacs {Valentine's Day Guest Post!}

The long-awaited guest post is coming from my friend Emily; we went to high school together (she's a year younger than I) until I transferred in eleventh grade, and she is seriously one of the sweetest people. Ever. A recent nursing school graduate, she is living in Council Bluffs, Iowa. In her free time she works on her blog, Love & Lilacs, and as she progresses in Blogworld, we'll definitely have to have a few more guest posts from this gem! She is on a mission to get in the best shape of her life this year; she's also a personal fitness inspiration for me! Read on to find out why :) When she's not saving lives, you can find her curled up in her house with a warm blanket and a cup of coffee (like, why aren't we bffs?) Thank you, Emily, for an amazing guest post for Valentine's Day!
-Kate


  Hi.
 I'm Emily!
 I have an up and coming blog called Love and Lilacs. .

 
You'll find anything from fitness,  recipes, beauty and more. I am a full time nurse and part time blogger. I currently live in Council Bluffs, Iowa, but I pretty much live a gypsy lifestyle. I've moved around quite a bit. A few things I love: pugs, all things that sparkle,  peanut butter and chocolate,  essential oils, candles, antiques, exercise, etc.
I have been on a fitness journey myself for the past few years. I weighed 365 pounds and was severely depressed. I have since lost 165 pounds and counting. 
 
 
Speaking of love....
And since Valentines Day is right around the corner...
 
I have been thinking a lot about love. I am no expert in the relationship department.  In fact, I've been in some pretty miserable relationships. But they all taught me something. And I'd like to share those things with all of you now in hopes that you don't have to learn the hard way like I did.
1. No one will be able to love you if you do not first love yourself. I didn't believe this for so long. But, it's true. Simply because you will not allow them to love you. You will keep your walls up and hide your insecurities. But, the thing is when you hide your insecurities you also hide some of the best parts of yourself. The parts that make people fall in love with you.
2. Always go with your gut. If you feel like something isn't right with this person, there is a reason for that.  Women are blessed with intuition to know when something isn't right. Run and don't look back.
 3. If some one tells you they are not a good person, then they are not a good person. Run away and never look back!
 
4. Never settle. I try really hard to live my life in a way that I do not judge anyone. But, that is also a big problem. Because I end up letting people in my life that don't deserve to be in it. When dating, I used to settle and lower my standards just to have some one to love. Don't do that. Keep searching for the love that you deserve.
5. Always give someone at least 3 dates. Why 3? Well, the first date can be really stressful and he may say or do something dumb out of shear nervousness. Date 2 = He is trying too hard to make up for date number 1. By date 3, you should be able to have a feel for what he is like.
 Love extends so much further than just loving your significant other. It means loving the people around you: family, friends,  neighbors, patients, etc. And most importantly,  it means loving yourself and never allowing someone else to change the way you view yourself.
 Believe in yourself and be confident but constantly work to be better and stronger than before.
I challenge every single one of you to silence that mean and negative inner voice that tells you you're not good enough. Look in the mirror every day and tell yourself  three things that you love about yourself. You will be amazed at what that simple and small act will do for your self confidence. 
 It has been such a pleasure sharing my heart and thoughts with you all. Please visit me and follow my journey. Love to you all!
-Em
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment