Saturday, February 21, 2015

Closet Cleaning

Contrary to popular belief, I haven't always been this fabulous.

No, really. I haven't always known how to dress myself. Don't believe me? Look at some of these old lookers I was able to find of myself through some legit Facebook prowling...

11th grade. That's a $150 Lacoste sweater... worn with sweatpants.

11th grade... I wore that sweatshirt more than is necessary for comment.
The girl on the left is my cousin Audrey Anna. I tried desperately to find a picture of me in my gaucho pants but couldn't. Please ask her about them though. She's likely to explode into a fit of hyena giggles and dig up some old photos. Needless to say, they were pretty atrocious.

     It wasn't until my senior year of high school that I began figuring things out. I used to drape myself in clothes to try and hide what was there. To be honest, I was self-conscious and incredibly insecure, so I dressed "comfortably" to try and combat those feelings of insecurity. Simply put: I looked just plain sloppy. After losing weight during my senior year, I began looking for clothes that fit me and flattered me. I didn't always nail it right on the head, but almost anything was an improvement from the previous years!

In NYC, Spring 2009
Then came college and PRAISE JESUS for pledging a sorority! I definitely had my leggings and sweatshirt days as an Ole Miss girl, but I learned lots of style and beauty secrets in the bathroom of the Phi Mu house!

Senior year of college-August 2011
All of this nostalgia is hitting me after cleaning out my closet for nearly three hours today, which resulted in three huge trash bags full of clothes, a Victoria's Secret shopping bag stuffed with shoes, and a trash bag full of crappy hangers! We are bound for Goodwill as soon as Vaught wakes up from his nap!

We're not friends on Snapchat?!! kcpace12

     I pulled out all of my maternity dresses (some aren't really maternity, just bigger sizes than I would normally wear), as well as some other cute dresses I've been hanging onto for a while, and I had an impromptu fashion show in front of my mirror. I had planned a maternity fashion post back in the summer to highlight some of my favorite maternity wear finds, but I never got around to finishing it. As I slipped into each of these, I think I could relate to the feelings the contestants on The Biggest Loser must have as they step on the scale to see if they've lost any weight. As I pulled dress after dress over my body, I kept waiting to be disappointed... I kept waiting to run into one that was too small or too tight on my hips or chest. It didn't happen. That made for one happy Kate!

     I took photos of most of what I tried on so I could show you all what I'm keeping and what I'm tossing out! You don't have to get rid of all of your "fat clothes." My mom is a secret seamstress and will be making adjustments on some of these for me.

Enjoy the show!
 
Old Navy Maternity--Size XL
I fell in love with this dress shortly after it became available in April. I bought it almost immediately and wore it a lot last summer. It's so breezy and comfy and so cute too! I'll be keeping it and having my mother take it in up top!
 
Target: Exhilaration (Juniors)-- Size XXL
I bought this dress in June of 2013 to wear to a wedding. Although it looks pretty flowy, it's got a fitted layer underneath that I was always self-conscious about, so I only wore it once. But now it's a lot looser and fits perfectly! I'm definitely keeping this and can't wait to wear it soon. The picture quality is kind of poor, but the colors in this dress are beautiful!!
 
Ross--2X
I bought this and wore it to a friend's baby shower in June... and that was it! I loved it SO much but it was tight and pulled when I sat down, so I never wore it after that. I still love it though, and aside from being a little loose in the chest, it fits great now! I'm keeping it! I may or may not need my mom to make some adjustments later on.
 
???--1X
I honestly can't remember where I got this, but I've had it a couple of years and only worn it a few times. I really loved it at first and thought I wanted to keep it, but the more I look at it, the more I honest I become with myself; I will probably never wear this. It's a goner.  
 
Macy's Juniors--Size XL
I wore this to the first home game at Ole Miss in 2013 and never wore it again. It is probably the sluttiest dress I own, and would you believe my mother bought it for me? My boobs literally pop out of it! It's being donated!
 
 
Vera Wang for Kohls--Size L
My mom got this for me, and I really like it, despite feelings like stripes are still not my friend. I'm determined that with a few more pounds gone, and the right pair of shoes and sweater, I can make it work! Keeping it.
 
 
 
Belk Juniors--Size XL
This is yet another find by my mom. I'm not wearing the right bra with it, but I love it! It's so cute, like something a modern-day Laura Ingles would wear! Keeping it (and investing in a good strapless bra)!
 
 
Old Navy Maternity--Size XL
If you spent a considerable amount of time with me while I was pregnant, you're definitely familiar with this one! This was perhaps my very favorite maternity dress!!! It still fits fairly well, but is way too long without my big belly. I'm going to have Bev (my mother) hem it. Keeper!
 
 
Kohls--Size 2X
I'm not sure what I thought this dress did for me... but it didn't. Bye, Felicia.
 
 
THE FAMOUS GREEN DRESS from Ross--1X
Another favorite, right up there with the black dress! It was $12 at Ross, and a few weeks later I found the same dress in pink. They're not as flattering on me now, but I'm still keeping them. If anything, they'll make great beach cover-ups, and I'm thinking on having Bev hem the pink one to be knee-length.
 
Boutique shirt--1X
I also found this gem that I got from a boutique in Olive Branch, but it's literally falling off of me! It's definitely being donated. Hard to believe that I used to wear this all the time!
 
I hope this post was somewhat inspiring but also proof that you don't have to get rid of everything after losing weight or having a baby or both! Keep what you like if it's within reason! And always, always, always have a good seamstress on hand!

Happy Saturday!!!



2 comments: