Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Do what makes you oh-so happy.

 

I saw this decorative sign at Target a few days ago and knew I had to have it. As I stood there with my shopping cart, sipping my nonfat iced latte, reading the sign over and over, and trying to decide whether or not I should buy it, I could only think of one thing: this blog.

Confucius said that if you do what makes you happy, you'll never work a day in your life.

     I used to think my happy was teaching, and maybe for a short time it was. I remember my first teaching job, which, ultimately, was my last. I went to work every day, and I strived to make a difference in my kids' lives. I worked hard and probably tried too hard to be "the perfect teacher," when such a thing does not exist. Within a few months, I realized I was not happy. A few other things (and people) contributed to the unhappiness I felt, but I just knew that something wasn't quite right. I stuck with it for another year, and although my stint as a teacher was ended unjustly, I was relieved to know it was over. No more being harassed by other teachers, no more being responsible for things far out of my control, no more unnecessary stress... and no more unhappiness.

     I became a teacher because I wanted to be a writer; that's all I've ever wanted to do. I taught because I thought that's just what writers do; if I can't be a published author right out of college, I should at least teach first. It made sense. Shakespeare, Robert Frost, J.K. Rowling--these are just a few very famous authors (and three of my personal favorites) who were teachers first. It's not entirely ridiculous that I thought this way when I graduated from Ole Miss, but I wish I'd been smarter about the whole thing... I wish I'd known then what I know now. Don't we all??

     I walked away from this sign that day, knowing I'd be back very soon to buy it, knowing I probably could have used the $25 it cost and made a similar one myself. But I was that obsessed with it. I returned to Target yesterday and swiped my credit card proudly. I hung it above my desk the moment I got home and am now blogging underneath it.

     What makes me oh-so happy? Writing. And by blogging, I am writing and being published, and I am oh-so happy. Of course being a  wife and mother bring me lots of joy as well, but blogging is "my thing," and we all have a "thing." No, it's not my career, not yet at least, but I'm well on my way. I'm happier now than I have been in years, and I know I owe so much of it to this little corner of the WWW I can call my own. I'll have a Master's degree in English within a year, and I'm already working on opportunities to use that degree to further my blog.


I've said it so many times before, and I'll say it again: thank you for reading. Thank you for liking, for sharing, for recommending. I couldn't do any of this without your support as a reader and follower of Keeping Pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment