Monday, February 9, 2015

$4.85 wasted... 460 saved.

I feel compelled to share this with you all because this was huge to me. Monumentally so.

     Vaught got his four month vaccinations on Friday. After a heel stick and an antibiotic shot on Monday, he got three more in his little legs on Friday. He was so tough! He cried for just a minute then was giggly and happy by the time we left. I, on the other hand, got a little distressed over the whole ordeal. I never thought I'd be that bothered by it, but seeing him in pain just gets to me. So, to "reward myself" for making it through his shots, I drove the two of us to Starbucks after his appointment and got a grande java chip frappucino, my former very favorite drink. Ever. But I hadn't had one in months, probably not since before Vaught was born.

I practically stabbed my straw into the lid and took a big sip as we were leaving the drive-thru. I almost turned around and took it back because it was the most disgusting thing I had ever tasted. Seriously, I thought something was wrong with it. I took a few more sips and realized it was perfectly fine, tasted just as it had back when I ordered them all the time months ago, but I was officially turned off by the taste.

     Most of my girlfriends drink and actually like beer, but I never did. They would all tell me that I just need to sit down and drink a six-pack one night to get used to the taste and then boom--I'd like beer. Obviously, I never did that (I honestly can't fathom the carbs and calories in beer), but what I'm getting at here is that we can definitely learn to enjoy tastes that are new to us. For me, it's the taste of nonfat, sugar free drink options at Starbucks, which I've been ordering for the past few months. Around Christmastime, I did indulge in some of my favorite seasonal drinks now and then, but aside from that, I have stuck with skinny iced coffees and lattes, and a few of my favorites, like the caramel macchiato and cappuccino, made with skim milk.

     It may seem like a small thing, but it was huge to me; I no longer like one of my all-time former favorite concoctions from my favorite place. I only took another couple of sips before I was entirely too grossed out to finish it, so I tossed it in the trash once we were home. It may have been $4.85 wasted, but look at what I didn't consume (well, not entirely at least):

 

460 calories?! That's more than what I consume at most meals!!!

2 comments:

  1. It's funny how your taste buds change post-pregnancy, too. Mine definitely have - sometimes for the better, and sometimes for the worse :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is also true! Gosh, I can't think of it now, but I came across a food recently that I loved pre-pregnancy and now can't handle it. Pregnancy will do some crazy things!

    ReplyDelete