Saturday, January 3, 2015

Postnatal Survival

You're going home from the hospital! Now what? In addition to taking care of that sweet baby, you're going to have to take care of yourself! Here are ten things you absolutely must have, according to me of course :)

Disclaimer: If you're squeamish (or a guy), don't read this.
 
 
 
 
 
Still here? Alright then. Don't say I didn't warn you.

1. Squirt Bottles
...for your nether region, if you know what I mean. You won't be wiping for a little while. Fill these up with warm water each time you go to the bathroom and fire away when you're all finished. It's a little degrading, but on the plus side, it feels amazing. The hospital will send you home with a few of these. I had two in each bathroom at my house.

2. Tucks Witch Hazel Pads
For your hemorrhoids. Don't turn your nose up, you're going to have them.

3. Pain Relieving Spray
Yet another item the hospital will send home with you! This stuff is pretty self-explanatory; spray it on your lady bits each time you visit the restroom, along with the dozen other things you'll need to do, and you're good to go.

4. Motrin
This is the BEST over-the-counter pain reliever! I took two in the morning, two in the evening and had no problems at all with pain. I kept waiting to be in intense discomfort, but it never happened. I would get a little sore if I stood for too long, but that's it!

5. Maxi Pads
Take all those atrocious orange pads from the hospital you want, you're eventually going to send your husband out to get you some more. These from Target are the absolute best ones, hands down. They are humongous. Makes me feel like I'm in 7th grade all over again...

6. Seamless Sports Bra
The girls are going to be going nuts in a matter of days, so make a point to have some comfy bras. I get these from Target, and they made great nursing bras! I wore a tank around the house the first few days and just pulled the straps down when Vaught needed to nurse. It's just my opinion that seamless bras are the most comfortable!

7. Colace
Ahhh... So embarrassing, but it's part of it. Pop these babies like mints then just grit your teeth and do it. Honestly, this experience was far more horrifying than birth (my birth experience was a walk in the park), but ya gotta do it at some point. All I will say is that it is 100% mental... Once you get past that, it's not bad. At all.

8. Starbucks
Have something on standby that makes you feel like you again. For me, it was Starbucks coffee. I had my husband bring me some almost every night that first week home with Vaught (this was practically all I was consuming the first few days). Starbucks makes me happy; it just does! Have a treat nearby when you're feeling a little down and overwhelmed. It helps, I promise.

9. Celexa (or another mild anti-depressant)
I was hesitant to put this on here, but like all the other uncomfortable stuff, it's just part of it. So many new moms warned me about the baby blues, but I still didn't think it would happen to me. I am naturally such a happy, bubbly person, I just couldn't wrap my mind around the baby blues concept. Well, imagine the loop I was thrown when we were just a few days in and I could not stop crying. On top of that, I wasn't eating at all and barely sleeping, even when Vaught was asleep. There's absolutely no shame in calling in for some "reinforcement," as I like to call it. Your doctor can prescribe you something mild, just strong enough to take the edge off. He'll also assure that it's safe for you even if you're breastfeeding. Don't get me wrong, baby blues are not guaranteed to happen! But I read that about 60% of new mothers experience it, so just keep in mind that no, you are not crazy, and yes, you'll be alright.

10. Eric
He's not a part of the collage, but he is the most important part of my postnatal survival. Have someone there for support at all times. Even though he wasn't supposed to, he kept his phone on while working and would answer if I needed him. Sometimes I would call just to hear him tell me he loved me and that I could do this. He may be the last thing listed, but he's definitely the number one most important part of my postnatal "kit." Be it your spouse, mother, or best friend, have a good support system you can call on when you're feeling overwhelmed... or someone you can hand that angel off to for an hour or so while you get a little rest :)

No comments:

Post a Comment