Friday, January 30, 2015

Fit Friday:Gym Tips for Sissies

LOL if you think I'm about to try to tell you how to get that bikini bod. By "sissies," I mean people who are afraid of the gym.You know the ones I'm talking about: they walk around aimlessly, eyes down (or glued to their phones), only using the machines and equipment they're 100% familiar with. Actually, these are the people who come in, walk on the treadmill or play on the elliptical for a few minutes, then leave and call it a "good workout."

Oh, and they avoid the weights like the plague.

     Most do this out of fear of embarrassing themselves, which is totally understandable. But let me just tell you, you can be a gym goer for years and you're still going to embarrass yourself sometimes. A few nights ago, I was lying on my back on the bench and when I went to get up, I guess I wasn't balanced enough so there I was flailing my arms and legs around like a moron. Not sure how many people saw that little slip-up, but I just kind of laughed at myself and kept on going.

     Anyway, if you're one of those people or have been one of those people, I feel your pain. But like other uncomfortable things in life (running into your ex, having your credit card declined, visits to the gyno), ya gotta find a way to get over them. Here are my five gym tips for sissies from a former super gym sissy (for real, I was terrible).



1. Know before you go. If there's one thing I hate worse than the Cardio Club (people who run on the treadmill for five minutes, bike for ten, elliptical for fifteen and brag about their "killer workout"), it's the people who come in and go from machine to machine, targeting a different muscle group at each one, stay for a total of twenty to thirty minutes, then leave. They have accomplished absolutely nothing. Research before you go; decide what muscle group or groups you want to work and work them until they're fatigued. If you're sore the next morning, you're doing it right. You shouldn't be in pain--just sore or a little jello-y. Read about some of the most effective workout plans and programs at Bodybuilding.com. Put a plan together that fits your goals then go to the gym and do work.

2. Get some earbuds and keep 'em in. If you can't hear what's going on around you, you're a lot less likely to worry about whether or not those meatheads are talking about your squats-- they're not. On top of that, it sometimes helps me stay focused if I'm in my own little world... until I catch myself humming out loud.

3. Join a class. I'm a member of a small gym now, but when I was a member of the Desoto Athletic Club a couple years ago, I immediately signed up for their Team Training classes that mixed free weights with plyometrics with Crossfit with Insanity. It was like a bunch of different workouts combined into 40-60 minute classes that basically taught you how to work out. I loved it! I have to say that before attending these classes, I was your run-of-the-mill Cardio Queen. I'm no buff babe now, but I'm well on my way :) Generic gyms like Snap!Fitness and ATC don't normally offer classes, but you can still get the most out of all the equipment they have by educating yourself before you go work out (refer back to number one).

4. Use the buddy system. During our freshman year of college, my best friend and I worked out in the school's gym three, sometimes four times a week. We took full advantage of a free gym and having each other as a workout partner. Yes, we usually just went for cardio, but we were never afraid to venture to the back of the gym and do a few exercises with dumbbells, even amongst all the meatheads. Of course we weren't intimidated: we had each other! If she looked dumb, we both did, so it didn't matter. If you can, grab a friend and create a schedule where you can go together. Just stay on track; don't spend more time chatting than working out! There's a couple girls I'm convinced just come to my gym to bounce on the yoga balls and talk about the woes of high school. I want to ring out my sweat rag over their heads.

5. If all else fails, do what you know first. You've done your research, designed a workout plan, and you're pretty pumped to give it a go until you head towards the weights section, only to turn right back around because you're too intimidated by all the meatheads. Happens to me sometimes, even now. Start out with what makes you comfortable. For me, it's running. I get on a treadmill and run for five or ten minutes, until I've worked up the courage (and confidence) to tackle what I came to do. I've got my ear buds in, my hat on, and I go after it. Sometimes you just need to get yourself together. Sometimes we just psych ourselves out a little too much. Trust me though, and I have to tell myself this too, no one is watching you.

6. Tried all these things and you're still a wuss? Nothing wrong with that. Well, not really. Maybe the gym's just not the place for you.. yet. That's totally fine! Get yourself two or three sets of dumbbells and work out at home. Try my #30onThursday!!!

Happy Sweating!



5 comments:

  1. These are great tips! Thanks for linking up with the Best Of The Blogosphere this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK yes when I go to the gym I do the treadmill and walk out. I do it telling myself it is for the sake of time because I travel a lot and have really long working days. But I do it too when I am home so total sissie!!! thanks for linking at the #BestoftheBlogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I totally understand about the time issue! At the end of the day, all that REALLY matters is that you exercised! Even if just for a few minutes!

      Delete
  3. Many gyms have a mechanical advantage - the arrangement of the pulleys mean that you can lift 90kgs of weight with only 60kg of effort. ephedrine bestellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I started looking at fitness equipment retailers there was not a lot of strength equipment and it was expensive. pe bible

    ReplyDelete