Friday, September 25, 2015

He's one, and I'm not crying.

Happy First Birthday, Vaught Charles!


I can't believe our little guy is ONE year old. He came into this world on September 25th, 2014, at 8:27PM. Weighing eight pounds, one ounce, he was twenty and a half inches long and smaller than we'd anticipated. Even at eight pounds, he was so tiny! One thing I'll never forget is his color... He was so tan and pretty. He was (and still is) such a beautiful baby.





Even as a newborn, he rarely cried. He only cried when he was over-tired or hungry. In the first few days, I cried more than he did. Even now, if I'm woken up at one or two in the morning for any reason, I think of that first week with Vaught. He didn't sleep much, and I was overly hormonal. I remember the darkness of those 2AM feedings. I remember how happy and lonely I felt all at once. I love my husband for how strong he was for us, working nearly sixty-hour weeks while I took off work for two months, but those first few nights all I wanted was someone to sit up with me in the darkness of our living room.

I remember how much better things were by the end of week two. With each day and night, Vaught slept better. Before he was even six weeks old, he was sleeping five to seven hour stretches (sleep training is magical). He would get up between four and five and be back down for a nap by six. I remember how beautiful the mornings were as we transitioned into fall... Once he was back asleep for that awesome four hour morning nap, I made a pot of coffee and enjoyed a creamy latte as I watched the sun rise, the light shining in through the top window above our front door.


By the time he was three weeks old, I took him everywhere. I bundled him up and drove to Target, where we'd walk around for two hours just looking at things. He was and still is such a good baby! I could take him anywhere, and he always did well.

Mama, I know you're reading this, so I just want to stop here and say thank you. Thank you for your love and support during those first couple of months. Thanks for reminding me each day that I could do it. Thanks for showing up to the house with food for me and Eric and diapers for Vaught.

I remember how at peace I was with returning to work at the beginning of December. I enjoyed the time to myself and working with my mother. Vaught did so well at daycare; he never cried when I dropped him off, was never crying when I arrived to pick him up. I owe the women at Marshall Academy so much for how well they took care of him!


From our first Christmas as a family of three, to our Easter mini-roadtrip, our first family beach vacation, to now, each month has brought new surprises, challenges, and an abundance of laughs. Of all the mamas God could have given this child to, I am so blessed and thankful that He chose me for Vaught. I know Eric feels the same way.



I love the memories we've made together during this first year and am looking forward to the ones hereafter. Happy Birthday, Vaught!

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness gimme that belly! What a cutie pie! Happy birthday Vaught! Love his name by the way :)

    ReplyDelete