Tuesday, September 22, 2015

"I'm going to ask an odd question... Does anyone have anything to eat?"

Last Wednesday, at around 1:30PM, my blood sugar dropped. Dangerously.



I'm not one to self-diagnose, but hypoglycemia, along with high blood pressure and diabetes, runs in my family. I'm afraid I could very well by hypoglycemic.

Every once in a while, my blood sugar will randomly and very quickly drop. It can happen in a second and will have me feeling sick, woozy, and disoriented until I get some food in my system. It happened that day in class, and I promptly sat down and taught from my pink lawn chair at the front of the room. I tried to act like nothing was wrong, but my kids knew something was up. When the dizziness didn't subside, I asked my sixth graders if any of them had anything to eat. It was actually kind of sweet how three of them rushed up to me with a piece of gum, a sucker, and a peppermint. Then a fourth student pulled out a Rice Krispies treat. I gave him an Indian Buck for giving me half of the chewy treat then let him finish the rest in class.

After getting a little food in me, I was totally fine. Back to normal, 100%. But it was definitely scary. I can't really predict when my blood sugar will drop. The only pattern I've noticed is that it's gotten worse since having Vaught and it happens nearly every time I have my period (I didn't have it on Wednesday, but it began the next day).

I' not eating nearly as much as normal these days, and I know that probably contributes as well. I stay so busy during the day that I forget to eat and don't pay much attention to my hunter until I'm ravenous. I'll often go to bed with hardly anything on my stomach because I was too busy/tired to eat supper. That's got to change.

I plan on getting a wellness checkup soon to see if I could possibly have hypoglycemia or be pre-diabetic again. I'm completely ready for whatever God throws my way, but I know He intends for me to try to keep my body as healthy as possible. I'm making a goal to eat small, frequent meals this week and get some healthy snacks to store in my drawer.

As busy and crazy as my schedule is, I absolutely cannot put myself on the backburner. I cannot neglect my health, so I hope to get this little issue figured out as soon as I can!

1 comment:

  1. I get the exact same way. As soon as I get something to drink and eat, I'm fine. I'm actually experiencing this right now but luckily it is almost time for lunch.

    http://dogmomchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete