Friday, July 3, 2015

I'm okay with being simple.


Although I'd like to think I lead a pretty spectacular life, if others could see what I do and who I am on a daily basis, they'd probably think I'm pretty boring. I'm okay with that.

It's summer, and I'm staying home with our nine-month-old, who seems to be growing right before my eyes. He's my alarm each morning between seven and eight and though I'm always a little sleepy when I first wake up, nothing makes me happier than to rush into his room to pick him up, smother him with kisses and cuddles, and get our day started.

We lounge around, play, and read books, and around noon we take a nice, long nap that sometimes lasts until after two o'clock. I usually like to nap while he does, but other times I get to blog or work on homework or do a little laundry. It's a pretty simple life, and I'm okay with that.

My husband gets up super early and goes to work every day. He works close to sixty hours some weeks but rarely complains. I enjoy having dinner ready for him when he gets home at night (most nights at least), and I enjoy the time we have together once the baby goes to sleep. We're pretty simple, but I'm okay with that.

I'm a teacher. In August, I'll return to school where I work as a sixth grade teacher for well over forty hours a week. I make an honest salary with decent benefits and will retire with enough to live comfortably when I'm in my fifties. Maybe then I'll pick up something new: cosmetology, baking, freelance writing... Maybe I'll still be blogging and maybe by then I could do it full-time. Guess we'll see. I'm pretty simple, and I'm okay with that.

In the simplicity that is my life, there is so much wonder around me. It may sound boring and dull to some, but there is nary a dull a moment. I get to watch this baby boy grow and explore each day, and it's the most marvelous thing. I have a husband who loves us more than anything, and it's a warm and comforting feeling, even on the worst of days. I would have never guessed it a few years ago, but I'm living the life I've always dreamt of, full of love and laughter, good times and just enough bad to keep me humble. It's a pretty simple life, but I'm okay with it. Dare I say I love it?

I serve a God who loves me and my simple life. I serve Him as best as I can, but I know I fail each day. I serve a God who is enough, and it's as simple as that. His teachings are enough for me. His way is enough for me.

In a society that's becoming more and more complex, I just wanted to share with you today how simple I am--simple, but beautiful and wonderful in my own unique way. I am simple, and I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment