Sunday, July 26, 2015

This Morning and the Detox

I finished my five day detox Friday, and I couldn’t have been happier.

That’s the first thing I want you to know, and the second thing is that there’s no way in hell I’m doing that again. It’s just not worth it. Take your juices and cleanses elsewhere, please. I felt crappy coming home from the beach, but after two days of healthy eating, I was back to my old-but-new healthy self. When I got on the scale Monday morning and saw that I’d actually lost half a pound while at the beach, I basically lost the motivation to do the detox full-out for the entire week, so yeah, there was definitely a little cheating in there.

But I did make some healthy, delicious smoothies this week that I’m excited to share with you! But first...
 
I weighed Friday morning to see the results of my detox: nearly two pounds lost in five days--YEAH! I felt great and felt like I looked great too. I was happy.
 
Today is Sunday. I got up at 6 this morning and weighed. Somehow, I've put on four pounds in two days. I felt even crappier than the day we came home from the beach. I dressed in my gym clothes, laced up my shoes, and told myself I was going to go do cardio at the gym until I hated myself or threw up, whichever came first.
 
 
Nearly two hours later, I've had some time to calm down and rationalize where the sudden gain came from. I had pizza for lunch and dinner Friday. I made homemade chocolate chip cookies Friday night and ate one that night and had one, alone with a blueberry muffin, for breakfast Saturday morning. I ate  McDonald's for lunch yesterday, and Colton's Steakhouse for dinner. Of course I gained four pounds.
 
So I worked out this morning and am over it. I'm enjoying a nonfat cinnamon chai latte at Starbucks now, chatting with the police officers who are here every Saturday and Sunday morning. I will eat well today and this week, and I'll be back on track. At some point, I'll have another day or two of bad eating, and the numbers will creep back up ever so slightly, and I'll be upset, but I'm learning how to handle it. I'm probably going to fluctuate up and down a few pounds for the rest of my life, but I'm also dedicated to being healthy for the rest of my life. It's gonna get tough sometimes, but I can do it.
 
 
 
There would be no point in the journey if it were that easy, right?
 
Back to my detox, I am glad that I did it, if only for the experience, but I won't be doing anything like this again. Eat healthy, guys. Drink water and watch your sugar/sodium consumption. It's not that difficult.
 
Each day, breakfast was a combination of fruit, fiber, and protein, so I sought refuge in chopped strawberries, peaches, and oatmeal. I paired it with a slice of toast or half a bagel with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter or nonfat cream cheese from The Fresh Market.

Smoothie is 1/2 C blueberries, 1 C spinach, 1/2 C unsweetened almond milk, 1 banana


1 banana, 5 sliced strawberries, 1/2 C unsweetened almond milk, handful of spinach leaves

1 banana, 1 tbls natural peanut butter, 1/2 C unsweetened almond milk, handful of spinach leaves
 
Lunch was a smoothie and a salad full of fresh veggies… Most days.
 
I ate a “regular dinner” most nights with healthy portions. I celebrated the end of the detox early Thursday night with five boneless hot wings from BWW.
 
 
Snacks were a piece of fruit or a serving of nuts (usually cashews or almonds).


 
Water consumption was a huge part of my detox. Every morning and night I had a warm cup of water with a few slices of lemon. Every morning, after hot lemon water, I had an ice cold cup of water with lemon and/or lime. Lemon and lime are two of the best ways to detox and alkalize the body! To be honest, you could detox your body simply by cutting out fatty foods and excessive added sugars, minimizing portions, and adding lemon or lime water several times a day. It’s that simple! I always feel better after drinking a cold glass of lemon water.
 
 
And of course, I worked out hard this week. I'm still sore from Squats Wednesday night!


 
There are still so many things I'm figuring out about myself and how my body works. I understand and have accepted that I will probably always fight with my weight a little bit. That's my struggle, and I'm learning to be okay with it. Where I struggle with eating well, others may fight anxiety or an addiction. Among the many challenges we'll face in life, I believe we're all born with something we'll have to work to overcome. This is mine, and I'm slowly but surely defeating her.
 

2 comments:

  1. Keep the cheat days every now and then! It's ok to take a break and come back fresh. You're doing great! Thanks for the smoothie recipes. I find it so hard to have breakfast aside from coffee sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! I try to enjoy a treat meal once or twice a week; that's just enough to satisfy cravings and keep me sane!

      Delete