Friday, April 24, 2015

What if we just show kindness?

I see articles and blog posts like these making their rounds on Facebook. You've seen them too. They're entitled things like, What Not to Say to the Working Mom, What Not to Say to the Breastfeeding Mom, What Not to Say to the Mom of Twins, What Not to Say to the Mom of the Screaming Kid in Target.

I've read most of these articles with my brow furrowed, and after reading I'm usually in a minor state of panic. I've said a lot of these things to a lot of these mamas, I've thought. After reading at least a dozen of these articles in the past couple of months, I think I've realized what not to say to my fellow mothers in general: anything. For fear of offending or insulting her, just don't say anything.

But that's not right, my loving, chipper, need-to-know-people part of my being whispers. Are we supposed to just hole up and not talk to one another for fear of offending each other? 

It just doesn't add up... It's definitely not the way I want to be.

I began thinking, as I'm known to do, and I came to a pretty spectacular conclusion: what if we just show kindness? What if we're just nice to one another, no matter what?



An article circulating Facebook at this very moment details a list of things you shouldn't say to the "C-section mother." I was so confused when I read it. I have never defined a mom or her birth experience by c-section or vaginal or natural birth or water birth or any of the other birthing methods, nor have I given thought to how a woman becomes a mother (artificial insemination, for instance). I guess I just thought that we're mothers because we're mothers. We conceived in some form, carried our children for forty weeks, give or take a little, gave birth, and poof! We became moms. The same goes for mothers with adopted children; they're still moms to me. That article is just one of many (too many) what-not-to-say reads making its rounds on social media.

I suppose my main thought and my proposal to you, fellow mom or friend or complete stranger with or without kids, is this: what if we just show kindness? To everyone. To the mom with the screaming kid(s) or baby. To the dad trying to hold it together. To the family of six being way too loud during Sunday lunch our at Olive Garden. Show kindness. Surprisingly, it's not that hard.

That's not to say that there aren't certain things you really shouldn't say to someone of a certain circumstance, but it all goes back to kindness... If we can just be gracious towards one another, we'll never have to worry about saying the wrong thing. 

I have several lifelong goals I hope to accomplish before my time on earth is done. Hopefully, I'll get there. But at the end of the day, all I really want to be remembered for is kindness. You can take my money, my car, my home... But you can never take away kindness. 


10 comments:

  1. I love this :) you have such a kind heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much! By no means am I Always Kind Kate, but I try to be!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I don't understand these "What not to say" articles. I'm just like - why do you have to say anything at all? Mind your own business! haha... But then like you said - should we just not talk to anybody? I think your general rule is good. Say something nice or don't say anything at all.
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't either! They just started popping up out of nowhere, and I was like, "What?!" That's my main point: just be kind. If you're kind then you never have to worry about saying the wrong thing.

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful. Such a simple message, but so very important. I wish that more people would "Be kind or be quiet". I just love that. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Sara! Imagine what the world would be if we were all just nice to one another!

      Delete
  4. That's a great message. I honestly stopped reading all those articles because people are telling you to just stop everything you do. Too condescending sometimes!
    —DT | Here I Scribble

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really fantastic. I think that when our words are coming from a true and kind place, they will be taken better, no matter the message. You never know what is going on in someone else's life, and that bit of kindness may make an otherwise tough day a bit brighter. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously love this post. I actually just wrote a post aimed at families with expat relatives--and I suggested not asking the question, "When are you coming home?" just because, most of the time, if you have to ask, you're not going to like the answer. But I also added a comment that I'm not saying DO NOT ask, because I don't believe in 'legislating' what people are allowed to ask or not. I want people in my life to feel safe to ask me anything, to say anything to me, because I don't want to create a culture of fear around, "Oh, better not say that!" Sure--not everything people say is nice--but I choose to see the people who ask "When are you going to have a baby?" as people who care about me and are curious, and yes, possibly a little impatient--not horribly rude invasive people. I welcome questions, and my answers will always be honest. That's the only thing that promotes community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This. Just be kind. I think people will be able to tell your intentions behind your words and for those that get angry about every little thing you won't be able to ever say the right thing to them anyway. I think if you do accidentally offend someone, then an apology and a smile goes a long way. I think we can definitely over think things and make ourselves crazy trying to please everyone. Your just be kind suggestion seems like the best way to go. :)

    ReplyDelete