Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Struggle is Real

I may be much healthier and more fit now than I've ever been, but don't think for a moment it's all been smooth sailing and easy adjustments! There are still and will always be things I struggle with on a daily basis. I've listed just a few of them below for your enjoyment. "Hi, my name is Kate and though I'm fabulous, I'm far from perfect."

1. Not dipping the knife back in the peanut butter for an extra taste. Yeah, well that extra taste often packs on much more than you think--up to 100 calories or more if you really pile it on! Is this not just a natural instinct people have any time peanut butter is involved though?? This has probably been my hardest habit to break!
This kid's got the right idea.

2. Second helpings. Much like the peanut butter thing, I often feel like one helping of a dish at parties or buffets is just not enough, even if I really am feeling full. It's been difficult getting used to not going back for seconds, and I don't always have the self-control (oh hi, I'm not perfect)! But I've gotten much better about it. One of the best ways I deal is by sizing up what's available before I fix my plate. Okay, so there's that cheesy rice and broccoli dish I love; I can have a bigger helping of that if I don't get a roll or hold off on dessert!

3. Just one slice? Whether it's pizza or cake, limiting myself to just one slice hasn't been easy. This isn't as difficult with cake or pie as it is pizza. Oh my gah, I could eat pizza all day every day! I sometimes allow myself two slices, but other times I have to get up from the table and walk away. No, seriously... I walk away.

4. Coke with dinner. We don't keep soda or sugary drinks in our house (we don't even keep sweet tea anymore), so I'm often tempted to have soda (plain ol' Coke is the only soda I like) when we eat out. It's fine as a treat every now and then, but more times than not I try to stay away, mainly due to the sugar content. It's also extremely tempting not to get one for myself when my mom sends me out of the office on an afternoon Coke run, but I'm usually pretty good about holding off.



5. That last set of reps. I love working out, but I don't always love it when it gets hard--really hard. I have to remind myself how strong my legs really are when I feel like giving out with just ten squats or lunges left. Those last few reps, regardless of what you're doing, when it burns like crazy--that's when you know it's working!

12 comments:

  1. What a great transformation. But, I totally get all of these struggles. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks, Jen! I figured a lot of people would be able to relate :)

      Delete
  2. These are good tips to think about. I don't drink a lot of soda but when we go out to eat I almost always get done. That is something I should cut back on or not do at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great advice! I'm so guilty of the second helpings and giving up working out when it gets too hard. I'm really trying to drink more water, but I do love me some diet coke haha. Congrats on getting healthier and fit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to keep it real. It sounds like you are doing great despite the occasional set backs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Sometimes it is harder to lose weight when we are closer to our goal! Making small changes has such a huge effect on our bodies and so that is great to make smaller healthy choices! It is hard sometimes to eat only one cookie!!! Thanks for sharing and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to you! The "just one slice" rule and avoiding second helpings are so, so hard for me. Sometimes it works to remember that even after that second piece, I'll STILL be craving it and wishing I had more. So I can feel that way now and be proud of myself, or I can feel that way after 2, 3, 4 more helpings and also feel guilty. But I hear you, the struggle is so real!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My trick with pizza is piling the toppings sky high so by the time I'm done with one slice I'm too full for more! Plus I love veggies, so win-win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! I am with you on the pizza..I could care less about cake give me the greasy pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great advice! I love that you're not giving up all kinds of food groups or doing anything crazy, just cutting back on indulgences and powering through your workouts. Simple is best :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the pizza. The pizza the pizza the pizza. I could eat the whole box!! Why do they make it so irresistible!

    The struggle is 100% real, I feel Ya! But keep up the good work, you sound like you're doing amazing :))
    Balance is everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips! I'm doing the 21 day fix and that's what it's all about! Portion control! Not changing what you're eating like dieting but not eating more than you need to!

    ReplyDelete