Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Visitors from Virginia left us Vaughtless

The light of the English teacher in me has found its way through, as you can probably tell by the alliteration in this blog post's title!

     Eric's mother and stepfather live in Virginia, about 900 miles from our North Mississippi home. On Friday, April 10th, they flew in to visit with us and left with our precious Vaught to spend a few days (roughly six) in Meridian, where my mother-in-law grew up.

     Friday night, we all went for dinner at Como Steakhouse. You've probably figured out by now that this is our favorite restaurant! I hated I didn't get pictures with my in-laws. I'm terrible at the photography part of blogging!



Not sure what to do with ourselves. 
Vaught left with his Mimi and Pawpaw around 1PM Saturday. That would be the last time we saw him until Thursday afternoon. 


The days he was away from us were quiet but terrible. Our anniversary was Monday, the 13th, and I got sick.
My throat was sore, and I ran a fever that night. Needless to say, it was not the most romantic anniversary night! I wasn't the only one who got sick; I got a text from my stepfather-in-law Wednesday around noon telling me Vaught was running a high fever. It was difficult, but I stayed calm despite wanting to pack my things up and drive to Meridian from work! I got to FaceTime with them at the clinic and saw that Vaught was kicking and laughing and babbling as usual. I couldn't believe how cheerful he was even with a high fever. God has truly blessed us with a happy baby!

He got his first sink bath in Meridian.

Vaught and his Pawpaw looking at horses!
     When they got home Thursday afternoon, I pulled Vaught out of his carseat, and he clung to me like it had been months instead of a few days. I spent most of the afternoon cuddling with him. I was so happy to have him back home!


     I love when Eric's mother and stepfather come to visit... Family time, good food, laughing, lots of coffee-making, free babysitting, shopping, amazing meals, cooking, free babysitting, more coffee-drinking, free babysitting, good food, home-cooking, laughing, together time... Did I mention good food and free babysitting?!

     Normally having extended stay company might feel like work, but it's totally not for us. Actually, my husband sometimes says it's the opposite; he says he wishes his mom and stepdad would relax a little more at our house! They are always fixing things around our home, organizing, cleaning... I just tell him that if they didn't want to do those things, they wouldn't. I think it's just something mamas do for their boys :)
They got us these nifty shelves to store things on. I'm encouraged to start coupon-clipping!

     My in-laws left yesterday morning, and I honestly felt like crying. They are so sweet to cook for us, clean for us, and give us all the free time we need together to do things we've not really been able to do since Vaught was born--like work out together. We used to do this all the time and really enjoyed it!

So much good food!
     Don't get me wrong; I wouldn't trade a single second of our new lives as parents for our previous ones, but it was so nice to be able to get out and about, just the two of us. We absolutely loved our week of company and look forward to them coming back in six months; Vaught will be a year old!

8 comments:

  1. He is such a cutie! And it is so nice when you know that you're leaving your baby with family that loves him and will take excellent care of him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Justine! You're right; I never worry about him when he's with his grandparents.

      Delete
  2. What a blessing that your family also gets to spend time with your precious little one! Enjoy all the moments, they go by faster than you realize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I try to bask in every little moment with them!

      Delete
  3. What a nice post! It looks like an awesome visit. When I broke my ankle my mom came out because my husband had to go do some training for a week...and when she left I was a mess! It was really nice having the help of parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like some amazing in-laws you have there! I am sorry you were both sick. I hope you’re on the mend. Vaught is a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! We're all feeling much better. Missing the in-laws already!

      Delete