Wednesday, April 22, 2015

"You don't know that."



     Our second baby... No, we are not pregnant again, but we have thought about him or her a few times since having precious Vaught. What new parent doesn't have a few thoughts about Baby No. 2 at some point? When people have asked us when we thought Baby Pace the Second might happen, we've usually responded with something like, "Well, Vaught's so good, we don't want to think about another one just yet," hinting that we're just fine as a family of three (plus the pups). And it never fails (other moms know this, too); someone chimes in, "Yeah, well your second one is going to be a little hellion!" "Enjoy this good one while you can; the second baby is always a nightmare." "You're going to have a mean little girl the second go-round!"

You don't know that. 

I'm just going to put this out there: I think children have the personalities their parents give them. I'm not talking about genetics. From day one, from conception really, I think you can teach your baby to be "good." 

Kate, you've completely lost your marbles. 

No, I haven't, but I keep a spare in my pocket just in case. Hear me out. 

     After getting past the initial shock of discovering I was pregnant, I went about my life as usual. Aside from a daily prenatal vitamin, nothing changed; I was still just normal me. I embraced every aspect of pregnancy without complaint. People kept telling me, "Just wait; you'll be miserable! Wait until you can't see your feet. Wait until you're swollen and sweaty!" It never happened. Well, maybe it did, but I didn't notice. I took everything as it came and accepted it as part of what God was building inside of me. Sure, I felt a little crappy sometimes, but I never was a bitchy pregnant girl. 

     Once Vaught arrived, I parted ways with many of my previous conceptions about motherhood. I threw out the baby books and the Googled advice and just let my mom instincts do the job. Sure, I took all the necessary precautions to protect Vaught and keep him healthy, but I didn't jump hurdles to Clorox my house every day. Right now he eats organic, clean baby food; in a few years he'll be eating cheerios and French fries off the car floor... And I don't even want him near a French fry. I paid no attention to the pro-co-sleeping parents and taught my newborn how to sleep on his own. With a now seven-month-old who sleeps through the night in his own crib, I don't regret that a single bit. I firmly believe that he is such a happy baby because he sleeps independently. 

     As far as new motherhood goes, I have embraced it all and continue to do so each day. I don't get bent out of the shape when things don't go my way or when we're thrown off-schedule. There have been many times when I felt like bawling my eyes out; I chose to laugh instead. I have celebrated the good times and smiled through the bad, and when things got really tough (and they will at times), I told myself, Bad times don't last forever. 

     Please don't tell me that our next baby will be a brat or that he or she won't sleep or that they'll be a little devil-child or that I'll wish we'd just stuck with one (yes, people have said that), or, or, or... Your children are what you make them. Because Eric and I are seriously the most laid back, non-worrysome people you could ever meet, Vaught is likely to be the same way. He just sits and giggles and takes it all in. He is such a happy baby. Even if our next one isn't Vaught made over, we'll love him or her no matter what. 


22 comments:

  1. Great post I know how you feel... my son will not sleep in his crib so I sold it and bought him a toddler bed he has slept in it a few times but I have to watch him it has rails but I still don't want him hurt. He mostly sleeps next to me in a bassinet but i'm trying to transition him to his own room. My son is a very good baby he always slept through the night so people have told us if we have another it would be bad but we aren't planning on another anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of my friends and family keep their babies in their room in a bassinet or pack-in-play for their first year or so. That's great that he sleeps so well for you! Vaught never did well sleeping in our room; I think he's like us and just doesn't want to be disturbed at nighttime. We're not planning on another one any time soon, but I've gotten little agitated with the "next baby will be awful" comments. Grrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex was the opposite he always wanted to be near us to sleep but then again for the first 6 months of his life we lived bedroom apartment now we have our own two bedroom place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Although I haven't had children yet, I think all of the books and warnings and millions of pages are overrated. You will know when the time is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will! And even if the time doesn't seem "right," it all works out in the end. We were not expecting Vaught at all, but we couldn't be more thankful for him!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for following me!! I love your blog and I love meeting other mommy's :)

    Your baby is adorable! I see in the photo he's in a Bumbo... not sure if you know but they have been recalled. Something about a strap. I saw it on a bulletin board in Walmart. Contact the company and they will send you a strap for free!

    And if you already knew that... well then I am a dumdum! HAHA!

    Have a great rest of your week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, and I love making new bloggy friends!

      Bumbo seats were recalled a few years ago when they didn't have strap, but they now have straps! So the one in the photo has straps... Do we use them? Heck no. I know, I know... We probably should, but trust me, Vaught is not coming out of that thing; he gets stuck in it every time. I wish I could tell you he only sits on it on the floor, but we use it all the time at the kitchen table while we eat!

      I am such a great mom, haha!

      Delete
  6. I used to have a Bumbo the one I had didn't have a strap at all my son eventually started falling out of it and I had to stop letting him use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one does have a strap, but we never use it. Vaught is so chubby, he gets stuck in there. You have to hold the Bumbo down to pull him out!

      Delete
  7. Well, you are right. They definitely do not know anything about your second baby, if ever you will have one in the future. What matters is that the next baby will also be healthy and for sure, will also be loved same as how you love the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I hate it when people become little know it all with your own children. Every child is different, every child is unique, and just because you happen to have a really well behaved child doesn't mean your next one won't be and vice versa. Why do people feel the need to say everything that's on their mind?

    ReplyDelete
  9. People had a lot of ideas about what our second would be like, and even now that she's here they still do. They compare her to our eldest all the time. It can be very frustrating! It's easy to do and people think nothing of it. But I want them to know they are unique individuals and I love them just as they are x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah ba-hum-bug. ignore the negative ones. 2nd babies are just as blissful as the first. Take each child as they are and do not compare the two.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are absolutely correct! I agree that they are what you make them. People told us the same thing when we only had one kid. True my kids are as different as day and night, but nonetheless they are both equally perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember all of the advised I received from people when I was pregnant with our second child. I have wanted to Ask them how would they know.. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's so many people willing to share "advice"... they all think they know how it goes for you, your family and your kiddos! Obviously your little man is very happy... there's no reason to think a second child won't be just the same! Just ignore the negative people, if it's not one thing it's another! My hubby and I have no kids (as of yet) and although we want them (more than anything) it gets frustrating to explain that to every single person who finds out how long we've been married... their next question is always "and you don't have kids?!". Not yet, but why do I need to explain my reasons to you random stranger? You don't look like my husband! I thought my children or lack there of was a decision for me and the hubby! Haha... silly strangers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people! I don't think people, even some of our own friends, realize how rude it is to make such comments about children. My good friend is getting married in a couple months (she's 27) and she is already frustrated with people asking her about how soon they plan on having children. Do people not realize that's a personal decision to be made by the parents??

      Delete
  14. Yeah some advice from others is meaningless and not needed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a healthy attitude :) you keep enjoying life with your little family and ignore people with their negative comments :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. People need to learn if I don't ask your advice then I probably don't need or want it. I get ridiculous advice every time someone hears I have 3 kids under 3. The worst part is when the advice comes from people who don't have kids or only have 1 kid. How in the world can someone with one kid or even worse no kids tell me how life is with three? I just laugh it off now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best thing you can do! My mom told me a while back that when she and my dad decided to have a fourth child (my little brother) people asked her if she was "stupid." I don't think people realize how rude their comments on children can be.

      Delete