Monday, April 13, 2015

Our Wedding

I have to admit that I did make one of those corny wedding websites you feel obligated to create once you become engaged, set the date, and start registering for gifts. At the time, I was so over-the-heels in love and absolutely obsessed with planning our wedding. It was literally all I talked about until our wedding day and then for a month afterwards. 


It is only now, two years later, that I look back at our wedding website (why, Wedding Wire, have you not deleted it yet?!) and realize how stupid I sounded. Well, maybe stupid is a bit harsh. I just wish I would have included some of Eric's perspective in the website... Everything was all me, me, me. I wouldn't change a single thing for about our wedding day except for including Eric on some of the decisions a bit more than I did. 

To his credit, he did tell me from day one that all he cared about was saying "I do," kissing the bride, and eating the food. That is all!

So, behold, dear readers: my newly updated, more realistic "wedding website." 

Our Story
We met in 2005. Eric was 17 and nearing high school graduation. I was 14 and in the eighth grade. Things were not going to work between us. He took me to the movies as a kind gesture then I didn't hear from him again until June 2009. I was 18 and a recent high school graduate. Eric was 22. We dated from June until January of 2010. Eric dumped me and completely shattered my world. Like, for real. It was awful. We didn't speak from then until July 2011. I messaged him on Facebook one night and we decided to get back together. The one thing I made clear to him from that time was that if we got back together, we would get married. It didn't have to be any time soon, but it would happen. Eric shrugged his shoulders as if to say, "That's fine, babe."

The Bride
Katherine is a 2009 graduate of Hickory Flat Attendance Center, and a 2012 graduate of The University of Mississippi with a Bachelor of the Arts in English Education. While at Ole Miss, she was a news reporter for The Daily Mississippian and was a member of Phi Mu Fraternity. She is currently employed as a Special Education teacher at Oxford High School and is studying to complete a Master of the Arts in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in English. 

The Groom
Eric is a 2005 graduate of West Lauderdale High School, where he was a member of the varsity football team. Upon graduating, he attended Itawamba Community College and Upper Iowa University; he played football at both institutions. He returned to Mississippi and completed his degree in machine technology at Northeast Community College. He is currently employed at Southern Systems, Inc, in Memphis, TN. 

Our Proposal (as told by Katherine)
We got back together in July and decided by November that we wanted to get married. We didn't really know when, but we knew it would probably be within a year or two. Eric had a good job, and I would be graduating from Ole Miss the next spring. We started looking at rings, and every so often I would show one to Eric that I really liked. I'm not picky though, and it was important to me that Eric do it "his way." 
On May 12th, 2012, I graduated from Ole Miss. I later found out that Eric called several different people at Ole Miss to see if he could come on stage in The Grove and propose to me when I received my diploma. Due to scheduling conflicts, they couldn't work this out. After graduation, we headed to my sorority house for pictures. My back was turned and I was talking to a few of my sisters. I turned around and Eric was getting down on his knee. I have no idea what he said, I just know that I said "YES!!!" 

Our Proposal (as told by Eric)
I didn't really know what I was supposed to do. I went and asked her mom and dad for permission the night before, and they were happy. I was a little nervous that morning, but I knew that Nicole (Katherine) would say yes. After her graduation, we went to the Phi Mu house and I just picked a time and got down on my knee. I can't remember what I said, but I think I asked her to marry me. 

The rest is history... And we are still making it. 


Wedding Date: April 13th, 2013
Location: Paris-Yates Chapel at The University of Mississippi
Reception location: The Oxford-University Club
Honeymoon: The Z bed and breakfast off the Oxford Square

4 comments:

  1. Aw, I really loved reading your post.

    http://dogmomchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather! It's fun reflecting on our wedding day with a little more experience now.

      Delete
  2. I kind of cracked up at Eric's proposal story: " I can't remember what I said, but I think I asked her to marry me" That is totally something my boyfriend would say. Our story is extremely similar to yours so glad to see such a happyily ever after :)
    http://figuringoutmyeverafter.com

    P.S HAPPY 2 YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ana! Eric is very upfront and blunt about everything. Neither of us can remember what he said, but I'm sure it was sweet!

      Delete