Thursday, April 2, 2015

Dinner and a Job

If you're following me on Instagram, you saw I had some great news yesterday; I got a job teaching special education at Oxford High School with an anticipated start date of ASAP (I'm thinking this Monday at this point). Eric, my parents, and my good friend Sarah, a counselor at OHS, were the only ones who knew I was interviewing for the job. This was my "other big news" that I thought I might have in last Friday's post. I had to wait a bit longer than I like, but I'm so glad I got the job and had great news to share yesterday!

Sweet Sarah and me at Volta!
 
      Sarah and I met while working out in team training classes at Desoto Athletic Club in the summer of 2013. We were two of the youngest girls in the class, plus we were both in the educational field, so we instantly bonded and became great friends. Last year, she took a job as a guidance counselor at Oxford High and moved to Oxford shortly thereafter; she's now engaged to be married this June! Since we hadn't seen each other in more than a year, we met for dinner last Wednesday night after my graduate class. Over drinks and Greek food at Volta, we talked about what's coming up in our busy lives. She's planning a wedding, and I'm... attending graduate school and blogging. Yep, that was pretty much it for me! When I told her about becoming certified to teach special education, in addition to high school English, last spring, her eyes lit up. "You should email our principal! One of our Sped teachers just took another job and left around spring break!" My wheels immediately began turning.

And at this point, you're probably thinking, I thought you said you didn't like teaching!?

     I didn't. I taught at a school for two years, and it was the hardest two years of my life. It was indeed a learning experience and although things didn't work out for me there, it was a lesson I needed to learn, sooner rather than later. Since that experience, I've prayed for God's help in releasing the bitterness I have towards the situation. You're bitter, and you know it, I've said to myself. But it doesn't have to be this way. You're not that person.

     When I lost my job there (I will always maintain that it was not my choice to leave), I thought my high school career was done. I will never teach in a high school again, I told others. I hated every second of it. Did I really hate it? No. I hated how I was often treated. I hated how I allowed people to run over me like I was one of the students. I hated myself for being too afraid to stand up for myself.

     I have also been praying for God to show me what He wants me to do this year. Wherever He leads me, I would go. I just prayed that it be His will and not mine. After Sarah told me about the possible job opening, I felt a tug at my heart, and I knew it was God saying, Alright, Kate. Here it is, and this is what I want you to do. I didn't object, I didn't argue. I emailed the principal the very next day.

     I'm certified in K-12 special education, and if you need an extra set of hands during IEP season, I would be happy to meet with you. I have attached my resume. I heard back from him almost immediately and set up an interview time for Friday morning at nine o'clock.

I snapped this and sent to my mom before my interview. "Do I look okay?"

     My interview could not have gone any better! It was perhaps the best interview I've had, and trust me, I've been to a lot! For the rest of that day until Wednesday, we had to play the waiting game. He called me Tuesday afternoon to ask for the name of my reference again, so I gave him the name of the assistant principal I worked closely with at my first school. She was the head of the Special Ed department and was familiar with the work I did and what I was capable of as a teacher.
My new place of work!

     I got the call from the principal yesterday. "She spoke so well of you," he said, referring to my reference. "I've got have you. If you still want the job, it's yours." I could barely contain my excitement as I thanked him and told him I couldn't wait to start! I "April Foolsed" both my mom and husband, telling them the administrators found someone better suited for the job. I'm pretty sure my mom went into cardiac arrest for about thirty seconds.

     Since then, I've been doing my research and reviewing all of my special education documents and procedures so that I'm fully prepared to start! I'm hoping to start on Monday; I've still got to go to the district office in Oxford to be fingerprinted, have my background check, and sign a lot of documents. I know the first couple of weeks will be tough, as I'll be driving nearly an hour to work each day with a six-month-old to drop off beforehand, but I'm prepared for the challenge and can't wait to start and get these kids ready for next year!

So excited for this new journey... It's going to be so good for our sweet little family!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! That is so exciting. Before the job I have now, I worked as a personal aide in a middle school with children with disabilities.

    http://dogmomchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete