Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Yes, I saw it.

    
      I spent hours working on a post about my thoughts on the movie Fifty Shades of Grey last night. The post was very well-articulated but ended up being much longer than I intended. I had it scheduled to post at nine o'clock this morning, but my mind was not at rest with it. I know I've written a really great blog post when I go to bed excited for it to publish the next morning. With this one, I was tossing and turning all night, and I realized by morning I was dissatisfied with what I had written. One of  my personal blogging rules is that I never publish anything I am not passionate about. If there's no sign that I enjoyed what I wrote in the post, I cannot publish it, for I fear that others can sense when I'm being dishonest. Well, I was passionate about this post. Perhaps a little too passionate because my second rule is to never publish anything that would be personally harmful or offensive to others. The post was offensive, as I was intentionally calling out certain individuals I'm friends with on Facebook for the judgment and condemnation those of us who planned to see the movie received.

But what could I say that hasn't already been said?

     I sounded bitter and bitchy, and I'm not one to beat a dead horse, but that's exactly what I was doing. None of the women people bashing Fifty Shades of Grey were going to change my mind, and I probably wasn't going to change theirs, but I wanted them to know how redundant they sounded. All the while, I just sounded mean. I can have a mouth on me sometimes, but I'm not a meanie... Not by a long shot.

     So, this post will be short, concise, and politely worded. I did go see Fifty Shades of Grey last Friday night. My husband and I went to the theater together, although he saw a different movie, and for two hours I sat in a dark, quiet theater and got lost in the imaginary world that unfolded before me on the silver screen. It wasn't the best movie I'd seen in a while, but I did enjoy seeing how the writers and director pulled the story together on screen (I read all the books a couple of years ago). I left the theater with my husband, picked up our baby boy from my aunt's house, and went home. We put Vaught to bed and followed suit not long after. I got up early Saturday morning and went to the gym and then Eric and I made breakfast together like we always do on Saturday mornings.

     At some point that morning he asked me how the movie was; I had honestly forgotten all about it. I shrugged and told him about a few memorable scenes, then he told me a little about the movie he saw. And I didn't really think about Fifty Shades of Grey again until I sat down to write my post.

     It's okay that we don't all like the same things or feel the same way about certain things. We have the right to our own opinions, as well as the freedom to voice them. While many women people were extremely harsh and critical about the book and movie on Facebook and other social media outlets, I realized that behaving that same way towards them in rebuttal is not the answer. I don't want to be that woman person.

     So, I'll end with this: I saw Fifty Shades of Grey Friday night and have carried on with my life as usual. I enjoyed two hours of solitude and getting lost in the imaginary world that is a movie. I was entertained for sure; after all, isn't that why we see movies in the first place?

The best part of the movie? Drinking a large Coke and eating an entire bag of popcorn all to myself. Yes, that was definitely my favorite part.

4 comments:

  1. Why not write women instead of people in general(instead of crossing out women)? I'm not against Fifty Shades because of the BDSM,but because it is not healthy bdsm-even those in the community are against it(and yes,I've read the books). I think that you should submit your original post- you can always word something more nicely,and can never please anybody. Blogging is sometimes about being controversial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My crossing it out was the "jab" I kept in this post because the only people bashing the book and movie in my social media circles were women. I talked to a few guys about it before seeing it, and most of them seemed to have a "don't know, don't care" attitude. One of my goals is to one day publish the original post, along with a few others I have stored up. Another goal is to blog a little more about controversial topics in my niche... That's what keeps people coming! Thanks so much for stopping by and reading :)

      Delete
  2. I think I would probably like seeing a movie alone the best, too! I don't think anyone has to feel ashamed for watching this movie. In the end, it's just a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my point, Brenda; it's just a movie! I love going by myself. It's like my own little getaway! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete