Tuesday, March 24, 2015

We get it; you work out.

    

     A few weeks ago, someone close to me said, "I just really don't like these selfies you post." She was scrolling through my Instagram feed at the time, furrowing her brow at some of my photos. If you follow me on Instagram, then you've noticed I post somewhat frequently about my workouts, usually with a sweaty gym mirror shot and one of my Polar watch. Because I'm super cool like that. 

     I walked out of the room for a moment, as I felt myself becoming embarrassed but more than that, hurt. Since this person is so close to me, I felt ashamed, like she was telling me I was self-obsessed or something of that nature. I knew she disliked when people posted photos of themselves; I'd heard her say it many times. But my "gym selfies," in my opinion were a little different.  I decided I had to say something.

    "Mom, can I talk to you for a minute?" I asked as I stepped inside her office. She looked up at me smiling until she saw I had tears in my eyes. "What's wrong?" she asked, almost frantically. I sat down and told her that her comment combined with post-pregnancy hormones (they're a bitch) had hurt my feelings. I told her that she knew she'd raised me to not be a self-righteous, pompous person and that I would never post those photos as a means of seeking attention. "For the first time in my life, I am happy with myself," I told her. I told her that I don't post those photos for attention or for comments or for people to know that I work out. "I know I could never post any photos like that and people would know that I work out," I said. "They'll see my progress eventually." This is where I told myself that I was being extremely dramatic... But I had to finish. My mother is my best friend, and her support means more to me than anyone's, and I made sure she knew that. "If my pictures can motivate just one person, then I'm happy," I told her. "If one person gets off the couch or flushes their diet pills down the drain, then I've done my job, and I can't ask for anything else. I'm sorry you don't like those pictures, but other people do. It's okay that you don't understand why I post them; they're not for you." I finished by telling her the most basic part of all of it: katecooperpace is my Instagram account. No one else's. 

     I can't tell you how many times I've been situated at home, convinced that I wasn't going to the gym that day/night, then saw the sweaty selfie of someone who did. Nine times out of ten, I picked myself up and went to the gym too. While I'm sitting on my butt, someone out there is getting stronger, faster, healthier. Can the pictures be an overshare sometimes? Gosh, yes. I get it, they can be annoying. But they do the job. For me, if just one person gets up and works out, that is enough. After talking about it with my mom, she couldn't stop apologizing, and of course I told her it wasn't necessary. It really wasn't. She raised us to be kind and selfless, far from self-absorbed. I understood her point of view, but I had to make sure that she understood mine. 



     I don't think I'm hot. I don't need you to tell me I look good. I don't care if you "like" it or not. Slowly but surely, I'm making progress, and I want to share it. Yes, I am proud, but I'm also extremely humbled, for I know what it feels like to be unhappy with yourself. For years. I know what some people think, and I'm perfectly okay with that. I hope that someday they can be happy, too. 

 I'll end with saying that I can't imagine being someone who can't make fun of herself now and then. These e-cards are hilarious! Do what you do and be yourself. Don't ever let anyone make you feel guilty for it. 


27 comments:

  1. You do you! If you want to post gym selfies, then you do it, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My point exactly, Erika! Thank you and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. You should be proud of yourself, so why NOT share it!! People will often criticize you for decisions you make but you have to stay true to yourself. Work it girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Courtney! I'm so glad I can always count on my good friends in the blogging community :)

      Delete
  3. I think some people do it to show off, and they are obviously posing and have taken a ton of angles to get the perfect shot. You know your motivation for doing it, and explaining yourself when people say things like that will make them "get it". But, you don't need to make your case for something on your social media either way. I have been inspired by many pictures of woman working out. The real woman, the Mom's, the working woman, the one with a long way to go before she gets to her goal. Those ones move me and help me take action. Do you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, Emily. I can totally tell when someone's just trying to show off. They use certain angles to their advantage, suck in, and maybe add a little photoshop! My photos are 100% authentic, and I am always SO ugly-sweaty in them! I guess this post is a small bit of my paranoia that some people might find me annoying. I'm learning to just be okay with that. I'll keep doing what I'm doing! I want to show everyone that anyone can do this!

      Delete
  4. Other people's workout pics motivate me all the time, so keep doing what you do! Like you said, your instagram is your space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nina, and you're so right! I find myself motivated by so many women, so I want to be that for some. And dare I say I think I am! I want to motivate and encourage people. Anyone can make changes for a happier, healthier life!

      Delete
  5. Ridiculous! Doesn't it drive me when others have things to say about what I post!
    Girl if you don't like it unfollow!
    I find people always upset about people posting food pictures as well. Like who needs to see what you ate for supper??
    Um i loooooove seeing what people eat for supper!! And maybe it will give me a delish recipe motivation hahaha

    Don't worry about silly comments, you're doing great and that's all that matters :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! Okay, I'm guilty--the food posts DO annoy me sometimes, BUT "to each her own" right?! I do enjoy seeing photos of unique things people create in their kitchens, and I'll catch myself getting ideas for my own meals!

      Delete
  6. Excellent post and I couldn't agree more. You keep on posting those selfies! Keep doing what you are doing! (off to go add you on IG now !) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Desiree! How are you doing in your progress?? So glad we're Insta friends now!!

      Delete
  7. I follow a lot of people who post gym selfies. I actually like seeing them. Okay, so I'm not doing, my pace is much slower than theirs, but I do admire them. One woman I follow shows complicated yoga positions. She has trouble, she posts her 'getting there' pics and I'm so amazed and happy for her when she goes from modified to actually the true pose. It gives me hope for myself!

    People who don't like gym selfies are people that shouldn't follow a gym selfie account. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! Even though I'm not a yogi, I am so inspired by them and follow a few myself. Like you, I love seeing them master a new pose--that's awesome! I love encouraging others, even when their goals are different from mine.

      Delete
  8. Amen! I had a similar discussion with my lil sister today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheryl! Thanks for stopping by and visiting :)

      Delete
  9. I love this. Don't let anyone make you feel ashamed of your gym selfies! I often need the extra push to get myself to go to the gym and other's pictures give it to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Chelsie! I swear, nothing motivates me more than to see that another girl is at the gym and I'm not! She's out there bettering herself, and what am I doing?!

      Delete
  10. You've got to love motherly input!! I love seeing them and I'm so proud of the awesome woman and mother you've become!! It motivates me because if you can do with and keep up with Vaught and grad school, then I've got no excuse :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ali. That means so much to me. Bev came back from her lunch hour (getting her hair done) and said, "I read your blog. I loved it!" It's awesome having Bev's support. I was kind of embarrassed bringing it up all over again, but she totally gets it now. She is one of my best cheerleaders! It is difficult sometimes... Right now I'm sitting at Starbucks after a workout, answering emails and working on blog and school stuff. I would love nothing more than to be at home playing with him, but I also have to make "me time" a priority once or twice a week. Somehow, I find a way to make it all work. And it's so worthwhile :)

      Delete
  11. This is an amazing post. So often I get "bullied" by my own friends because they don't understand or care about my passion for sustainable living & encouraging others to live sustainably through my blog and my lifestyle choices. But like you said, our passion is for us and no one else. I just pray to help someone become more sustainable and lead a healthier life for themselves and the planet. Love this post girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much! Your blog is so unique and informative. I'm sorry to hear that some bully you about your passion, but you've got the right attitude about it; it's YOUR passion, and it's okay that some others may not understand it. I can guarantee you that for every one person that doesn't like it, there are five others who do. Personally, I am a new fan of yours now and can't wait to read more! Keep it up!

      Delete
  12. This is great! You should do what you feel as is is your selfies! It is motivation to others in my eyes. Keep doing what you do, you are the only one who has to be comfortable with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Cathy! Thanks so much for your support of my selfies :) Thanks for stopping by to chat with me!

      Delete
  13. Who cares if you do it or why you do it? I know it's easy to say that these comments shouldn't bother you, but they shouldn't. If they don't understand why you do it, then maybe, even if they are close to you, they don't really "get" you. ((HUGS)) and keep on doing for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! It's always encouraging to hear that so many others support me. I guess I sometimes just need reassurance :)

      Delete
  14. Good for you for explaining yourself and making her understand your motivations! One of the most dangerous things we can do to people we care about is to assign motivation to them without truly understanding! I think it's awesome that you share your progress and that you want to help motivate others, where your heart is is more important than anything anyone else says!

    ReplyDelete