Friday, March 6, 2015

Sneak It In {Fit Friday}

Yes, I love exercise. Yes, I love the gym. Yes, I love eating healthy.
 
No, I don't love to work out all the time. No, I don't always want to go to the gym. And NO, I don't always eat healthy. The struggle is so real sometimes.


How do I manage? I've taught myself how to "sneak it in." You don't always have to change into gym clothes, lace up the sneaks, and actually drive to the gym to get in a good workout! And you definitely don't have to always eat a salad or a plate full of vegetables to eat healthy or enjoy the not-so-good-for-you foods that you love. One of the ways I keep my sanity is by getting exercise in a little throughout the day in ways that don't require that I go to the gym, as well as choosing modified versions of my favorite not-so-healthy foods.

     One thing I miss about teaching is the opportunity to get in some exercise doing almost anything! I stood for most of the day, but any of my students can tell you that Mrs. Pace was never hesitant to break out into some lunges or calf-raisers while they were working. At first this made for some strange looks from my kids, but it was only a matter of time before they were completely accustomed to it. In addition to that, I would jog up and down the halls any time I had the opportunity. I know my "hallmate" teachers had to think I was crazy for doing so, but it was my way of fitting exercise into my job!



     While I'm completing my master's degree, I'm working at a real estate office, where I'm the "assistant credit manager," as well as the office gopher; I have desk work to do on a daily basis, but I also do a lot of errand-running for the owner and my mother (working with my mom is the coolest thing ever). Any time I have the opportunity, I break into a jog when running errands around "the Square" in the town where I work. When I'm stuck at my desk inside the office, I'm known to do a few standing pushups against my desk, wall sits, and I do twenty-five squats every time I'm sent to one of our two vaults. I'm not sure when this became routine for me, but squats are always a good idea, right? We also have a tall, narrow staircase leading up to the second floor, and I'm known to run the stairs a few times throughout the day.

     As far as eating healthy, you know that this is not my strength. One thing I struggle most with is definitely my diet, but I've realized that I don't have to do completely without those foods that I love. I can still enjoy a big, juicy hamburger now and then, but I eat it with a small salad or steamed vegetables on the side. I still enjoy a good dinner out with my family at our favorite Mexican joint, only now I order tortilla soup with avocado, and I go a little lighter on the chips and salsa! I love brownies and have recently discovered Fiber One fudge brownies; 90 calories in one!!! I warm them with a little bit of peanut butter on top for the ultimate dessert!



It's all about balance, from eating to exercising! Moderation is key, and it's okay if you don't always get it right. Earlier this week I had a doozy of a day and was craving chocolate soooo bad! Instead of eating an enormous slice of chocolate cake, I walked to the pharmacy next door for a small bag of M&M's, which I shared with my mother. Find small ways you can sneak healthy eating and activities into your day and note the changes you feel in yourself and energy level in a short time!

*How do you sneak fitness into your day?
*What healthy eating habits or tricks work best for you?

30 comments:

  1. I love the tips on how to sneak in those little workouts at work and how to exchange out your snacks, especially the carrot chips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrot chips are amazing! I learned this from my friend that I used to work with; she ate carrot chips and salsa almost every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great tips! I've been making protein bites with peanut butter and mini chocolate chips, along with oats and chia seeds and protein powder. That way, I still satisfy my sweet tooth, but I'm not eating a ton of crap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGEEE that sounds amazing!! Please email me the recipe, Chelsie! Or is it on your blog?? I see so many recipes for protein bites but still haven't made any!

      Delete
  4. I usually try to make a HUGE thing of green tea each morning and drink it as the day goes on - it's easier for me to get in more liquids if it has a little flavor :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have I already read that green tea is a great fat-burner as well? I used to drink it at night but haven't done so in a while. I should get some more! A lot of people like the green tea frap at Starbucks. Have you ever tried it?

      Delete
  5. Totally agree! All about balance! I'm a letter carrier use to walk every single day now that I'm on mat leave I miss it terrible but I'm trying to be sneaky and get some workouts in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be the perfect job for getting exercise while you work! Enjoy your maternity leave and good for you getting workouts in while you're not working! I returned to the gym fifteen days after having our baby and getting in some exercise while on maternity leave made all the difference in the world to me!

      Delete
  6. These are some great tips, thanks for sharing! I agree that sometimes it's a lot of small changes and small actions that can add up to big results. And I've been wanting to try those Fiber One brownies, so it's nice to know that they actually taste good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, and please give those brownies a try! Put a dollop of PB on top and warm for 10-15 seconds... SOOO good! I sometimes add sliced up banana too; bananas and PB are another go-to!

      Delete
  7. I love that you truly sneak in workouts! One of my favorite snacks are cauliflower pizza bites! I love pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--it's just a simple way to help me keep my sanity. I definitely couldn't go to the gym every single day! I've not done cauliflower pizza bites, but I have made some cauliflower buffalo wing bites, and they were amazing! Want to email me that recipe??

      Delete
  8. I need to make fitness a daily part of my life!!! I have too many excuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start out doing just a little.. seriously, even if it's just a short walk or a few exercises for five minutes. You'd be surprised at how much more energized you'll feel! I'm a big fan of starting small :)

      Delete
  9. Great tips! I sit at my desk all day, and rare get up, so bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being able to sit more at my office than when I was a teacher, but sometimes I just really need to get up and do something! That's where the office workouts come in, lol.

      Delete
  10. These are really good tips, especially for those that have a "sit down all day" job. Thanks for the encouragement to keep fitness as a top priority!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gennie! Remember that even just a little bit helps!

      Delete
  11. I'm 100% there with you on not always wanting to work out. Have you hears of shakeology? That might be a silly question, haha. I drink it and it gives me so much more energy which makes getting those workouts in a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of it and have been wanting to give it a try. One of my blogger friends said last week she would be sending me a sample... I'm still hopeful that it's coming!

      Delete
  12. I should definitely try to sneak some more exercise into my day. Especially since I work at a desk. These are great tips! Thanks for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miranda! It makes me feel good to know my tips have been helpful to a few people! It also feels nice to not feel entirely guilty if I don't always make it to the gym; I always get in some exercise at work!

      Delete
  13. I can totally relate to this as I am a fitness coach. The struggle is Real. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that you're a fitness coach!

      Delete
  14. oh man great tips. So funny about doing lunges while teaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Courtney! It was definitely entertaining to my kids at times.

      Delete
  15. People like you inspire me. I used to be so energetic and did physical activity all the time. Now I think I just do it in my mind. LAZZZZYYYY!.
    LOL.
    Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww you made my day! It really does help to sneak in little changes! That's among the best advice I can give!

      Delete
  16. Wow, this are great tips! You're so motivational.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Rebecca! If I can motivate just one person I'm a happy girl :)

    ReplyDelete