Saturday, March 14, 2015

So, this happened.

I'm just going to come right out and say what I probably shouldn't say, especially as an adult...
My hair is really important to me. Like, really important.
 
       Growing up, my mom made me keep my hair short. I hated her for it, and at the same time I have no right to; she did it because I refused to brush my hair. I can't tell you how many times I've bout got my tail whipped because I would not brush my hair (I still don't like doing it to this day).
     Finally at around age twelve my mom decided that she would stop dictating what I did with it, so I grew it out and within a few years was dying it red. Red was my signature hair color for a while. Sometimes I went a little extreme with it, but I liked being the redhead everyone knew and loved. Seriously, people knew me because of my red hair!

REALLY red in fall of 2008

I admit, I loved my red curls.

Brown in spring of 2009

     At some point I began dying it dark brown, and that's the color I stuck with several years. I really loved the ombre look that was popularized by my girl LC in 2012, so I began getting two-tone locks when I was twenty-two.

     But a few months ago, I began thinking about taking it back to my roots, no pun intended. My natural color is blonde with golden, strawberry undertones. Many people called my hair color "strawberry blonde" growing up. I've always said that I disliked blonde hair and hated it on me, but I think losing weight has made me more confident in myself and less afraid to try new things. So, in late January, I made an appointment with my stylist/one of my very best friends.

     "Let's go a lot lighter. Let's go blonde," I told her. We did, and I loved it. It was very close to my natural color. I loved it so much that I called her back a couple of weeks ago.



     "Let's do more," I said to her. "Let's go really blonde." And we did. She incorporated a little brown ombre in with it, as my roots come through dark before lightening (I have weird hair), and I was thrilled with the results! I can't believe I'm saying this, but I feel like lighter hair brightens my face, giving it a youthful glow. Yes, I said that! I honestly feel like I hid behind dark hair for so long, but now I'm wanting to come out and be seen. It's a good feeling!!



     I have so much praise and respect for hair stylists/colorists/cosmetologists. The good ones are fantastic at their jobs, and my stylist is nothing short of amazing. She always makes me feel beautiful, and I've never left her salon disappointed. If you live in the Memphis/North Mississippi area, visit Jessica at Mane Image Salon! Find them on Facebook here.

*What do you think of the new color?
*Has a new haircut or color ever changed your life??

11 comments:

  1. my hair is my obsession! The blonde looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new color! It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, it looks great! I am older than you and I contend with greys, in my 30s I began to dye my hair and I have experimented with many colors. My husband was the lucky one, he got a new wife every 6 weeks! LOL Now I stick with brunette, but it is so much fun to experiment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Experimenting is totally the fun of it! The thing about hair is that it can always be fixed and will always grow back!

      Delete
  4. It seems like you are definitely the type of person who can pull off any color, lucky you! I think they all look great, but I do really love the blonde!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, thank you! I always thought I pulled off red and brown okay but swore I would never try blonde. And now I'm convinced that it is MY color!

      Delete
  5. Love the blonde and the style! I always envy those who can give themselves beautiful curls because I so cannot lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley! It's actually SUPER easy; wrap your hair in small sections around a wide barrel curling wand or curling iron. Shake it out, spray, and you're good to go! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  6. I think you look gorgeous! Enjoy the new look.
    :-)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete