Monday, December 1, 2014

A Weekend of Wins

I haven't done a "what we did this weekend" post in a while, but I wanted to fill you in on our weekend of wins. You know I'm a Rebel, so of course one of those is the Ole Miss victory in the Battle for the Golden Egg (I'll get to that in a minute), but there were other wins before that one!

Technically this past weekend began on Thursday :) We had a really nice Thanksgiving. It wasn't crazy or stressful at all; it was just nice. Pleasant. Simple. For the first time in a long time Eric and I (and now Vaught too) didn't get out of bed at the crack of dawn to run around North Mississippi all day in an attempt to get to four or five different Thanksgiving feasts. With a new baby, we decided a while back that we would keep all of our holiday plans short and simple this year. Thanksgiving was our first holiday with Vaught, and we decided to do the big Turkey Day feast with Eric's dad and stepmother's family in New Albany, Mississippi. We were there for just a couple of hours and had planned on going straight back to Olive Branch to cook our own Thanksgiving feast, but Eric told me that we just can't go straight through Potts Camp without stopping to let Bebe and Pawpaw (my parents) see Vaught on his first Thanksgiving. I called them and found out that they were actually in Hickory Flat doing Thanksgiving Day with some of my mom's good friends. So we stopped by and a few minutes with them turned into them talking us into spending the rest of the afternoon at their house in Potts Camp. It was just us and my parents at their house until seven or eight that night, and we had such a good time visiting, eating some more, and watching football. On our way back to Olive Branch, we decided we were hungry again but too tired to cook our own meal like we'd planned, so we stopped for fast food at Sonic in Holly Springs. Remember my goal of staying within 2,000 calories on Thanksgiving? Yeah, well I would have accomplished it had we not been total fatties at Sonic! Either way, we had a lovely Thanksgiving--Vaught's first holiday! WIN!



And this precious gown nearly caused a divorce...


Friday

You've lost your mind if you think for one second that I would roll out of bed at 4a.m. to go fight psycho women at Target or Walmart or anywhere for that matter. I spent my morning sipping coffee and rocking the babe. Eric's work has a "floating Friday" this year, meaning they voted on whether to work the Friday after Thanksgiving or the one after Christmas. Thanksgiving won the vote, so he had to work, and Vaught and I cuddled on the recliner most of the day watching movies. Around four though, I decided to venture out to see what deals might be left at Target, our favorite place to shop. I'm so glad I did! It wasn't too terribly crowded, and all clothing in the store had been marked down 50%! I headed straight to the baby section and grabbed literally everything that was left. I even got a few baby girl pieces for a few of my friends/family that have had little girls this year. I've already given my new little cousin her sleeper I picked out for her and I can't wait to get everyone else's gifts to them! There's just something about giving that I totally love. It probably comes from my love of making people smile... That and my inability to turn down a good deal. Win :)

Saturday

Let's just get this out of the way; if you follow me on Instagram or Twitter, I hope I provided some cheap entertainment Saturday afternoon, and if I was a little annoying, sorry.

Try actually being there with me... I'm pretty sure I was trying to give our section neighbors my social security number at some point. Whups. Anyway, The Battle for the Golden Egg (most commonly known as the Egg Bowl) is probably the second most popular college football rival game, next to the Iron Bowl between Alabama and Auburn. Each year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving (it used to be on Thanksgiving), the Ole Miss Rebels battle the Mississippi State Bulldogs for the golden egg trophy. Yes, the two teams fight over an egg--well, really it's a golden football (there's a story behind it; look it up). Basically, the team that wins the game also wins bragging rights for 365 days, and I'm proud to say that this past Saturday, that team was mine, the Ole Miss Rebels. For the third year, Eric and I held season tickets and we were so proud to see our team pull off such an awesome win. Props to Mississippi State; they were ranked the #1 college football team in the nation for four or five weeks in a row. But in the end, the Rebels fought harder, played smarter, and their determination pulled them through with a final score of 31-17. Win.

Sunday

One final Thanksgiving feast for my mom's side of the family at my parents' house in Potts Camp. I made my melt-in-your-mouth green beans drenched in extra virgin olive oil, along with my jalapeno popper dip. For the first time in a while, I ate until I was miserable, handed my child off to someone, and took a two hour nap. Not much else to say about that... Win.

And Monday...

I thought I would finish this post last night, but I turned in early so I could be fully rested for my first day back at work today. Vaught slept from 9 to 7:15 this morning, giving me plenty of time to shower and dry my hair before he woke up. I dropped him off at daycare around 8:30 and am probably the first mom in the history of moms to not be upset about it. He even grinned up at one of the caretakers when I handed him over! I had an amazing first day back in our office but was so excited to pick Vaught up this afternoon! My cousin and aunt brought us dinner (so thoughtful!) and I even got to work out tonight. It's now 10:30 and I'm just now finishing up my Cyber Monday deal-finding. Jeans for Eric for $14! Score!

Overall, we had an amazing Thanksgiving weekend, complete with a few wins and lots of food and fun with family. Let the countdown to Christmas begin--24 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment