Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas with the Paces

We swore that this year we really were going to keep our Christmas travels simple; we'd pick just one or two things to go to and send our well wishes to all the others while we sit at home and just enjoy the holidays. Well, when you have a three-month-old that so many family members still have not met, that's nearly impossible. We've been travelling all over North Mississippi since Sunday!
 

December 21st

On Sunday we were in Etta at my Grandmother Eva's annual Christmas dinner. This is the gathering for my mother's side of the family. We had dinner around 1PM then lazed around for the rest of the afternoon. Vaught took an awesome nap on this day, and I laid down with him and snoozed too!
 

December 23rd

Tuesday night was the Hancock Christmas in Tupelo. If you've ever travelled down West Main Street in Tupelo and seen the blue signs in memory of S.A. Junior Hancock, he was my great uncle, my Nannie's brother. He died in 2005, but my Aunt Vernel still has her annual Christmas party at their home. This is always on the 23rd of December and is always my favorite Christmas gathering! There's just something about her home that I've always loved... Perhaps it's because she lives so close to the Tupelo airport, and I'm obsessed with airplanes! I always have to drive by and look at the planes when I go to Tupelo.

with Aunt Audrana

Christmas Eve

Eric had to work on Christmas Eve, but when he got home around four, we headed to New Albany for his dad and stepmother's Christmas. His sister made dinner for us then we opened gifts. Vaught got some sweet things from Pop and Kack, Mimi, and Aunt Erin!
Our little guy was knocked out by the time we left!

Christmas Day

Vaught is three months old today!
If there's one thing I say I could never stand to miss (but will probably have to eventually), it's my mother's Christmas Day Brunch in Potts Camp. We have everything from fried bacon and tenderloin to strawberry pretzel salad and monkey bread! As much as I love the family time, I have to admit that the food is one of the most appealing parts about this day!
I worked out late night on Christmas Eve just so I could enjoy this! Ya gotta live a little!
Since my parents' four children are now married (three with children), it's almost impossible to get us all in the same place at the same time. Because of this, we all open presents with my mom and dad at different times on Christmas Day. We did not do Santa at our house, but he definitely showed out at Bebe and Pawpaw's!
 
Eric, Vaught, and I got lots of goodies from my parents, much of it Ole Miss stuff! We even got a signed copy of The Chucky Mullins Effect! Such a sweet gift, it brought tears to my eyes!
 
Around 2:30, I made "lumps of coal" cookies with my niece. She later gave some to my husband and told him it was for being bad this year. Little does she know, she's not entirely incorrect :)


They taste MUCH better than they look!
Some really sweet memories were made today too. I am "mad for plaid," so I got my mother and two sisters a plaid shirt from Old Navy for their Christmas present. We all wore them for pictures then took some good family photos, which we've not done in so long! I will cherish these forever!



 
By seven everyone was hungry again and since most of the food had been devoured, I made grilled cheese sandwiches for our remaining company. Vaught began to get a little fussy after that, so we headed home and put little guy to bed. I know he's so ready for a little less travelling for the next few days!
 
The last thing I did on such a lovely Christmas Day, besides type up this little blog post, was go to the gym for a very quick workout. I knew I wanted to work out on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and I'm glad I did.
No shame here in admitting that I ate a lot today and drank lots of coffee. But I told myself it was perfectly okay as long as I get back on track tomorrow! I try to eat 90% healthy, but today was definitely a 10% day. Even still, it was filled with fun memories with my family that I'll always remember. Vaught's first Christmas was definitely a success!!

No comments:

Post a Comment