Thursday, November 27, 2014

Be Thankful.

Is it really November? Better yet, are we really almost done with November?? As the year heads to a close, I find myself reflecting back on the past eleven months pretty often. After all, what else do I have to do during Vaught's naps? One New Year's Resolution that tops my list of resolutions each year is to have a more grateful heart, to be thankful. Each year I vow to try and be more appreciative of my blessings each and every day. I think that when we stop, close our eyes, and count the numerous blessings we all have in our lives, we realize that we're much better off than we sometimes think--even when we think we've hit bottom.

Until September 25th, I might have deemed this the absolute worst year of my life. This is not to say that I've been miserable all year, but it's been a year of challenges that I definitely feel brought at the worst in me at times. The birth of my son changed all of that though, and as we near 2015, I am preparing my heart to be completely open, completely thankful and humble each day of the new year.

It's totally natural for us to sometimes forget our many blessings, and what better time to be reminded of them than Thanksgiving? As I sit and think about what it means to be truly thankful at six o'clock on this cold yet beautiful Thanksgiving morning, I think about all that surrounds me that makes my life truly worth the living. With a humble heart, I give you a list of the things I'm most thankful for.

1. Family.

A husband and son that love me more than anything, parents and in-laws who love and care for us unfathomably...the love I have between my family and Eric's is extraordinary. I'm thankful for a husband who works so hard for us and for our little boy who has brought us more joy than I could ever imagine. I'm thankful to always have people I can call on for support and guidance.

2. Health

Even in the midst of trying to become as healthy as I can be for myself and for my family, I have to appreciate my body just as it is every day. With a little help, it made a perfect, healthy baby. It carried him for nine months and delivered him with ease, just as it was designed to do. I can walk and talk and I have the strength to pick my baby boy up when he cries. It may seem like a small thing, but it's still something to be thankful for.

3. Friendship

From girlfriends who are like family to sorority sisters I'm still very much in touch with, I know that I can always call on these people when in need. I'm thankful for the laughs, cries, and good times with each of them. I'm thankful for those "little friendships" with people I may not be very close with but are always there to support.

4. Freedom

I know that things in our nation are nowhere near perfect right now... As a matter of fact, they're probably bound to only get worse in the coming months, maybe years. Even still, I'm thankful to be an American. I'm thankful that I can be a Christian and know I won't be persecuted or killed for it. Unfortunately, it seems like it may not be that way forever, but I'm still grateful for the freedoms we have. I read about the horrible things taking place in other nations, and I realize how blessed I am to be free.

5. Jesus

There's just something about that name. If everything above is ever taken away, I know that I'm still not totally hopeless because there is one thing that no one, nothing can ever take from me, and that's my home in Heaven. I'm thankful for a God that loves us even though we don't at all deserve it. I'm thankful for His love, mercy, and grace. I'm so undeserving, yet He loves me just the same. Do you know Him?
 
Of course there are tons of things in between for which I'm thankful: a roof over my head, the love and companionship of my dogs... Starbucks. But these are the golden five, the things I pray I never take for granted. I wish you the very Happiest Thanksgiving!
 
What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment