Saturday, June 21, 2014

It Taunts Me...

There it sits, laughing at me, begging me to give it another try. I cannot believe I allowed myself to be defeated by something so artificial. It's demeaning and humiliating.

 
     Three hours I spent putting this thing together at home by myself while the husband is at work. My three pit bulls sat and watched me with a sort of amused curiosity, as if they knew I was doing it wrong the whole time.
     As I go to place the mattress support into the bottom of the crib, the FINAL step of this process, I realize that on the back side, I can adjust the height to three different levels. But on the front side? There were no holes for that... At first I thought it was a manufacturer mistake, but then I walked around to the front of the crib, only to find that I had put the entire thing together backwards. No, it's not as easy as turning the front part around. I put the sides on backwards and all the other little nitpicky parts had been put on, screwed in, and tightened completely wrong.

     I have disassembled this entire thing and am now considering just burning it.
 
And that's my day. How's yours?
 
 

A little bit later... (10PM later)

     I had to take a breather earlier from putting The Crib together or there was a good chance I would be roasting marshmellows over the damn thing. After disassembling it, I thought I put it back together "correctly." I had the mattress support screwed in (please do not ask me how I managed that by myself), and was in the process of screwing on the back of the crib, the prettiest part of it. It would not fit right. Between the arch and the outside posts, there was a gap. I groaned when I realized what I'd done and yet again, I had to disassemble some of the crib, though not as much as the first time. I basically just had to switch those two outside posts on the back, which wasn't terrible. It was about 2:30 by this point, and I just cried the entire time. I was so frustrated and outdone with myself and the fact that I had failed twice in one day sure wasn't helping. Plus, sometimes I just feel like crying.
   My husband got home from work around three, walked into the room, and was a little stunned at all that I had done ("Oh, did I forget to tell you I was doing this today?"). I was afraid I'd maybe hurt his feelings doing all of this without him, but he understands that I'm in my "nesting" phase, and I'm just so excited to get it all done in what little spare time I do have this summer. He said he wouldn't mind waiting until August to start working on the room, but at eight months pregnant, I highly doubt I'd have the energy by then that I have now. So, I cannot say that I put this thing together entirely by myself; Eric got home just in time to help me screw in the mattress support (for the second time today) and secure the back of the crib, all of which took him a matter of about five minutes. 
 
 
     Overall, my review for this crib will be a good one; it's absolutely gorgeous and was an amazing price! I had thought that maybe I shouldn't include on my Walmart's review that I'm a ditz who read the directions wrong and assembled the thing backwards at first, but after talking to my friend, who bought the same crib in a white finish, and being told that her husband did the same thing, I think I will! Honestly, if a man makes the same mistake I made in assembling something, I know it's not just me. Even still, I love this bed and the fact that it converts to a toddler bed, daybed, and full size headboard! It's weird to look at now and know that many years from now, Vaught will sleep on it as a teenager...
 
 
Okay, I have to stop! 
 
     It's nearly 11 o'clock now, and I still have so much to do! I'm hosting a bridal shower for Bride #3, my high school best friend Jaymo ("Jessica" but I never call her that) tomorrow at two. I couldn't be more excited for her and Josh, and I'm so thrilled and honored to be a part of their big day next month! 
 
 
     I am SO close to having Vaught's room completed... I need curtains, throw pillows, crib bedding (my Grandmother informed last week that it did arrive and is beautiful), and a few decorative items. Then we'll be all set and ready for our little man... or as ready as I think we could be. I'm sitting in his room now, thinking it's only a matter of time until I get to spend hours upon hours in here with him. It's bittersweet! Once the room is completed, there will be a blog with detailed pictures--can't wait to share with you all! I have worked soooo hard!
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment