Sunday, June 15, 2014

10 Things I Love About You

For my husband, Eric, Vaught's sweet daddy-to-be. I love you and wish you an amazing first Father's Day :)
 
 

10. I'm an avid reader. I keep a constant stack of "currently reading" on my bedside table and am always buried in a book. Especially at nighttime. I can't tell you the number of times I've fallen asleep while reading or watching TV with my glasses on. I'm a light sleeper, so I almost always stir a little when Eric gently takes my glasses off. If there's an open book on my chest, he'll make a bookmark out of something (Kleenex, pen, anything so that he doesn't have to fold down a page, which he hates). It's little things like that that warm my heart a little every time.

9. The fact that he hardly ever takes out the trash but does lots of other random things for me. I almost always have to roll the big trash bin to the end of our short driveway (it'd be different if we lived where my parents do and had a driveway a quarter mile long), but it doesn't bother me at all. He may forget to roll it out there on Tuesday mornings, but for every time he forgets, there's at least five other things he's done for me during the week that show me how much he cares. I came home one day and he was fixing the blinds above the kitchen sink. I'd only mentioned them to him once and how I'd like to fix them one day. On another occasion, I walked outside and he had decided he was going to shape up the two big hedges we have in the front landscape. "I just thought they'd look a little better," he'd told me. It makes me smile. For all that he does without my ever having to ask him, I don't mind if he forgets to roll out the trash bin nearly every Tuesday.


 
8. Working 6-4:30 six days a week so that we can live comfortably. His alarm goes off at 4AM every morning Monday-Saturday, and he's usually out of bed in a matter of about fifteen minutes. He leaves at 5:15 for his job as a machinist in Memphis and works until 4:30 in the afternoon. Two or three days a week through the months of April, May, and June, he also umpires little league baseball at the Olive Branch park. For him, the day sometimes doesn't end until 9:30. He does all of this for both of us, and now for our little one so we can live without worry.



7. Football. From the end of August to early January, football consumes our lives. Before him, I was simply an Ole Miss fan, a "committee fan," I do admit. I "liked" Ole Miss but didn't really keep up with whether they were winning or losing. But when I met and fell in love with a former NCAA football player, I grew to love, really love, college football. Because of Eric, I probably know more about football than most women. It's a love we now share in common and the one thing we always agree on.

6. Food. This one's short, so I'll just tell you that my husband is the greatest grillmaster there ever was. The charcoal grill I got for his 26th birthday last year was not only the greatest gift I think I could have gotten him, it was an investment. He hasn't disappointed yet :)



5. He sticks with it. When he starts something, he finishes, whether it's a difficult job at work or a project in our house. I mentioned his umpiring side job above; he doesn't have to do that. But he enjoyed it last year. This year, our lives were a little busier, and he's gotten into his powerlifting training four days a week. He didn't have to umpire, but he made a commitment to his boss, so he's sticking to it. His days are long and he's ready to collapse from exhaustion sometimes, but if he tells me he's going to do something/fix something/go somewhere with me when he gets home, he does it. He sticks to his word, and I can always appreciate that.



4. He lets me be me. One main reason marriage never really appealed to me when I was younger is because I'm extremely independent. I like doing my own thing and so often just loved being by myself. I hate the idea of someone waiting on me or hovering over me. Eric is perfect for me because he doesn't do that. We are married and live together, but we are still very much our own people. We have our separate areas in the house where we go to just be alone, and that's fine. It makes the time we spend together even more special. Now that I'm pregnant, he watches over me a little more closely, while still letting me be me. He tried to fight me only once on mowing the yard (I love to push-mow!), and he hasn't tried to fight that battle since, though we did compromise: I only get to mow the front yard, and he gets the back :(

3. He's an amazing son-in-law, brother-in-law, grandson-in-law, cousin-in-law, etc. I include this because before him, I didn't bring home very many that my mom and dad had good feelings for! Both my sisters are married, but we rarely see their husbands--nothing against them, they just don't come around as much. My parents say that Eric is like having a second son. He and my dad get together and talk guns and farming for hours. He loves to help my mama with the cooking when we visit. I know they love him so much because they know he's so good for me, and it means more to me than I can say.

 

2. His personality. He's not afraid to speak up and he always says what's on his mind. At the same time, he's one of the kindest, most gentle guys I've ever met. He makes me laugh more than anyone I know, but I also have to roll my eyes at him a lot too. We're as different as night and day, but somehow we are the perfect fit. 

1. He's going to make an amazing dad. Unlike me, he's not worried a single bit about parenthood. One thing he's always been sure of is the fact that he wants to be a father some day. It makes me so glad to know that one of us feels so passionately about parenthood; his confidence eases my anxiety about becoming a parent. He's made mental lists of the hundreds of things he wants to do with Vaught, both as father and son and as a family. I love how in love he already is with the idea of being a father. I cannot wait to see him and his son together for the first time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment