Monday, June 9, 2014

Additional Week 24 Update

Thrifting Saturday... Couldn't resist!
I had to come and add this to the blog due to my week 24 appointment this afternoon. I have new measurements for little Vaught, who is growing bigger by the minute!

But first...


     This morning was a little crazy. The storms last night mixed with placenta brain just weren't a good combination, and I kept having insane dreams. Due to one reeeally intense one, I woke up in a panic about the w hole labor and birth process, which, up until this point, has never scared me at all. I mean, it's life. Literally. I was really shaken up. It was 4:30, and I knew going back to sleep wasn't an option, so I got up and had Eric's breakfast made before he got out of the shower. It made for a good morning to eat with him before he left for work, even if it was 5:15. And by that point, there was 0 reason for me to try to go back to sleep, so after egg whites and strawberry oatmeal (bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches for my big man), I tackled this really great workout I got from a friend a few days ago. It's my third time to do it, and I absolutely love it because it's something I've not done in so long: high rep, low weight. Actually, the first night I tried it at my gym was a little funny. For the past year I've done low rep, high weight workouts (muscle builders) with cardio in between. So, I attempted this new one (3 sets of 25 reps) with a thirty pound dumbbell for squats, sixty pounds for dead lifts, and 15-20 pounds for everything else. After about 10 reps, I was thinking to myself, There's no way... Then I realized this was meant for low weight. Oh. Once I lowered everything, it was much easier but still a challenge. By the third set, I was a mess. But it felt amazing. I added two miles on the treadmill the first two times, but since I did it at home this morning (with 8 pound dumbbells), I decided to skip the cardio (plus, it was raining). I started at 5:40 and finished a little after 6. I don't have to get up for work until after 7, so I laid back down and watched a little television before I just had to get up and get going :)

     And after my appointment, I'm very glad I got myself going this morning and did that workout. Since my last appointment, just over four weeks ago, this mama has put on nearly twelve pounds. TWELVE! That's about three pounds per week--WOWZA! And not a good wowza either. I was so proud of myself at my last appointment (the halfway point at twenty weeks) when I had only gained a total of ten and a half pounds in twenty weeks. I've gained that much in four! My doctor was kind of "blehhh" about it. Not thrilled, but not too distressed. But I can't help but be disappointed in myself. I've been so careful and done so well during my pregnancy, but I have to hold myself accountable and admit that I have been indulging wayyyy too much lately--it definitely doesn't help that every single weekend I've got more wedding showers, parties, and get-togethers (meaning cake, cake, and more cake, which I never liked until I was expecting). It's hard to pay attention to what you're putting in when you're eating while running around catering to brides and their needs. Not that I'd trade it for anything!! But today made me realize I've got to be more careful for the next fifteen weeks.

     Three weeks from tomorrow I will take the glucose test (many refer to it as the sugar test), which will reveal whether or not I have gestational diabetes. I expressed my anxieties about the test to my doctor, who feels confident I'll be fine and will pass with flying colors.
Totally can't wait for this :-\
 The weight gain since my last appointment was a bit of a surprise to both of us, but aside from that, this pregnancy has been a wholesome, healthy one. Even still, I requested a copy of the diet sheet that expectant women follow upon discovering they have GD. I had spoken to my good friend earlier today, who said she started following the diet during her second trimester, despite not having diabetes, and claimed she had never felt better. Even if I'm not gestational, I feel like it would benefit me and baby greatly if I followed this diet for the rest of my pregnancy. There's never anything wrong with being healthy, and pregnancy is the best time to give it even more effort! Through all of this though, God has still been so good to me and Vaught, and I must remember that. A few extra pounds are nothing compared to what some other women experience. I have to remember how blessed we are and have been and trust that He will continue taking good care of us.
I tried to post pictures of the diabetic diet my doctor gave me, but the quality sucked. Google "diabetic diet," and it's very similar to the ones you'll find. I'll try very  hard to include blog posts about some of the new recipes I plan on trying too :)

On a brighter note...


     My ultrasound technician is the sweetest thing ever; she complimented how well I'm carrying Vaught, which made me feel good, especially after seeing the number I had seen twenty minutes earlier! He now weighs one pound and 10 ounces--growing like a champ! She took a pretty good picture of his sweet little face... Gosh, I cannot wait to love all over him! I keep meaning to ask about the 3D ultrasound... I want to know if it is required or not because frankly, I don't think I want one. The parents of my generation had very basic black and white ultrasounds and were fortunate to be able to find out the genders of their children. They didn't get to see what the baby looked like before he or she arrived, and I'm not quite sure I want to. I am really glad to know that Vaught is a boy, but do I have to see his face before his birth day? Personally, the 3D ultrasounds are a little creepy, and I'm not quite sure I want one unless I absolutely have to get one. Who knows, though! The day may get here where I'm DYING to see a super clear picture of him! But at this point, I'm just a little skeptical; it'd be nice to have ONE surprise--seeing what our precious little guy will look like!

Sweet face!
Vaught was being a little camera-shy, but we were able to see this one...  

 

The "Belly Shots"


And no, I don't mean those that involve alcohol :)

Pre-workout tonight. I seem to be carrying high for a baby boy.

Before my brother's wedding shower Sunday

Let me know of any good recipes I should try whilst on the GD diet! Feel free to send them to my email: knc9009@gmail.com

What do YOU think of 3D ultrasounds??


Keep checking back: I've got about 10 good posts I'm currently working on. Thanks for reading!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment