Monday, June 2, 2014

Bells Will Ring, the Sun Will Shine...



     I name this entry what I did because it's the song my mother played when I woke up the morning of my wedding ("Going to the Chapel"). Apparently it's this really old blues-y song that she loves, so now it comes to mind any time I hear the word "wedding" or "chapel." Well, I heard a lot of each this past weekend, as it was the weekend of one of my best friend, Cheslin's, wedding to her fiancé Matt.
      I've known Cheslin since our junior year of college. We had a science class together in an auditorium at Ole Miss and sat on opposite sides of the room. One day, our respective friends that we sat next to at every class meeting weren't there, and we were given an assignment to complete as partners for extra credit. As everyone else was partnering up, we looked across the room at one another, caught each other's eye, and the rest is history! We graduated from the same undergraduate program (Secondary English Education) in May of 2012. When I became engaged that day, I immediately called her to request that she be one of the women who would stand next to me the following year when I would become Mrs. Pace. I loved having her there on my wedding day, so I was thrilled when she asked me to be there for hers the next year! (Of course, I had no idea that I would be nearly six months pregnant by the time the day arrived). Even still, I was so honored and appreciative that she had chosen me to be one of the four; if you've been a bride already, you understand what a big deal the choosing of the bridesmaids really is! You only want your best team with you that day, and I couldn't have been more delighted to have been a part of Cheslin's!

Friday, May 30th: The Rehearsal

     I thought that leaving Holly Springs at 3PM would give me plenty of time to get to Calhoun City (Cheslin's home town) by 4:30. Clearly, I forgot that I'm pregnant or I simply did not realize that I'd be stopping for a bathroom break three times on my way there (the fact that Vaught's still enjoying kicking the heck out of my bladder doesn't help much). I arrived at about a quarter to five, glad to see that most everyone else had just arrived as well! The chapel is actually Bethel Church, about twelve miles out of Calhoun City (pictures further down), down a long dirt and gravel road that I'm pretty sure my little car drifted down most of the way. We ran through the ceremony schedule two or three times before loading up to head back to Oxford for the rehearsal dinner at Proud Larry's off the historic Oxford Square. Matt's last name is Astorino. Know what that means? Yup--we had an Italian feast for the rehearsal dinner! We were served at least three different kinds of authentic Italian appetizers, along with salads and pasta dishes for the entrée, and three yummy options for dessert. I somehow was lucky enough to be able to sit beside Cheslin, who ordered two desserts for she and I to share. It was a fantastic rehearsal and dinner, and I thoroughly enjoyed sitting near Matt's family; I felt as if I was one of their own by the end of the night! Cheslin passed out our bridesmaids gifts, which were lovely monogrammed tank tops and custom hangers with our names twisted out of wire on them (I had seen this before but not in person), and sweet Matt surprised her with a very special gift of his own: an authentic strand of freshwater pearls for her to wear the following day. It was a beautiful gift, and Cheslin was so surprised!


Cheslin and her twin brother, Paul

The Ole Miss Motel 





     All I can really say about it is WOW. Haha! Two months ago, I booked a hotel room at the Holiday Inn Express for Eric and me for this weekend. However, Eric ended up having to work Saturday, so I cancelled the room Thursday, thinking I'd be fine driving to my parents' house 30 miles outside Oxford. I would have to leave their house Saturday morning by 8:30 in order to make it to the bridal brunch at 10:30 all the way back in Calhoun City. As we were eating our dessert at 9:30 Friday night, I realized how extremely exhausted I was. I'd been running around all day, driving half the day, and I honestly felt like I could have slept in my car right there on the Oxford Square! With Ole Miss having been selected to host a regional tournament at Swayze, I knew there probably weren't many affordable rooms available. I knew the Ole Miss Motel was one of few options I had, and it was only a quarter mile from the square. I'd read that many of the rooms had recently been renovated, and the pictures looked pretty nice, so I was thrilled when I was handed a key for a room that was only $69 for the night! Apparently, though, I was NOT fortunate enough to get in one of the "nice" rooms. Mine looked like it was straight out of 1981. I walked in and immediately was glad I was by myself: had I been with my husband or any of my friends, they'd have probably said "Hell no," and left with a refund. But by this point, I was too tired to even think of leaving. It was a decent price and a place to lay my head. I actually slept reeeeally well; either the bed really was that comfortable, or I was too tired to care! Since I was by myself, I turned the TV on for a little background noise and watched Wedding Crashers for a little while as I rested my aching, swollen feet!

 

Saturday, May 31st: The Wedding

     We began the day with a brunch at the home of the lady Cheslin sometimes works for. It was so very kind of her to allow us girls to get ready there; we basically took over her bedroom and bathroom! I left Oxford around nine, stopping at High Point Coffee for a coffee, muffin, and water for the road. We enjoyed a delicious spread of fruit, bacon, sausage, biscuits, and two or three different casseroles before we got ready. Since I knew I wouldn't be eating again for a while, I stocked up! Vaught was a very happy baby after this meal!


  
 
Check out Cheslin's custom Chucks!!! A stylist drove all the way from Oxford to Calhoun City to do Cheslin's hair and makeup... Doesn't she look beautiful?! I wish I'd gotten a good shot of the broach she wore in her hair; it was flown to her from Sicily-- an heirloom from Matt's grandmother!

 
      
This is the home where the brunch was hosted; it was beautiful, and Ms. Pam was so kind and welcoming!


 
     We left around 1PM for pictures at the old Calhoun City schoolhouse, where the reception would be held. I got some cool shots of our dresses next to Cheslin's on our custom hangers she had given us the night before.
 


 
 
 
     From two until nearly four, we took pictures. We then all headed for Bethel Chapel for the wedding at 4:30. We actually arrived just in time! People were milling about, waiting on the wedding party to arrive before they went inside.

 
Three of us took this photo as we waited for all the guests to be seated for the ceremony.
 
 
     Yes, we were a little bit sweaty; it was humid for sure! But it was so worth it. The wedding itself could not have been more perfect. Cheslin was absolutely stunning, and I can't wait to see the professional photos by Blake McCollum.

     After the wedding, we headed back over to the old schoolhouse for the reception, which was amazing!! One of the most bittersweet parts? Open bar. Yes, all the wines, beers, and liquors you could ever dream of, and I of course could not have a single sip. I say it's bittersweet because I am an avid wine drinker and love it with my dinner; but I have to hold off until Baby Pace is here :)
     There was also a photobooth, and two of the bridesmaids and I made at least five trips to it, putting on crazy props and taking goofy pictures. I only wish I had thought to get a few copies of them! We had so much fun together!





     We ate and drank (well, some of us drank), and danced for hours. When the time came for speeches, I gave a very humorous yet heartfelt speech on the Matron of Honor's behalf (it was Cheslin's sister, and she just couldn't keep from crying, bless her). I had no idea I had a knack for last minute speeches, but I think I did a pretty decent job!

     At around eight, the photographer had Cheslin and Matt do a "fake leave," while all the guests were still there. It made for some amazing photos, as sparklers are some of my very favorite party favors!! Me and the other bridesmaids had a lot of fun with these!


Kiersten, me, and Alli. Yes, I had already put my comfy clothes back on!

      I had promised my husband, who has become a little bit more protective, that I would make an effort to head home around eight, for he hates for me to be driving so far at nighttime. I left at 8:30 and was back in Olive Branch close to 10:30. My dogs were SO happy to see me; I think they had thought I would never return! After being a part of such a special weekend, I was prompted to think back on my own special day over a year ago. Eric was watching baseball in his recliner, so I curled up in his lap for a little while and just enjoyed the peacefulness that is our home, our life together. Witnessing Cheslin's wedding made me remember the special vows that Eric and I took and how much I truly do love that crazy man of mine. I remembered how happy I felt and still feel every day just knowing I get to come home to him. Sure, he drives me nuts sometimes. I joke around that I'd kill him if I wouldn't miss him too much afterwards! And I realize that's kind of a crude joke to make, but that's me, and that's us. Sitting there in his lap, I asked him about how he felt in the days and weeks following our wedding. His reply was, "Really happy. But after a while, I started thinking What the heck have I done?" I couldn't help but laugh because I remember the moment when I felt the same way. It was like, Lord, I love this man, my best friend, more than anything, but he's driving me crazy!!! If you're married and you say you've never felt that way, I have valid reason to believe you might be fibbing! I found myself really praying for Cheslin and Matt and their marriage. In a culture where nearly half of all marriages end in divorce, I prayed for them to help us break the stereotype as young married couples; I still pray every day for God's hand in a happy marriage. So far, He has blessed Eric and me more than I can ever imagine, and I don't really know why, for I know we don't deserve His blessings. But somehow, He loves us the same and continues to show His unconditional grace and mercy on us and our family. Sometimes, I just have to stop and remind myself to say "Thank You, Lord," and really appreciate all that He has done for me.
 
It's a beautiful thing to witness one of your best friends take her vows. I am so honored and grateful to have been a party of Cheslin's day. One wedding down, three to go!!!





Congratulations, Cheslin Clemons Astorino!!!

 

2 comments:

  1. It's crazy how small this world is! I went to school with Cheslin and Kiersten! The day looks BEAUTIFUL! I'm so glad y'all had such a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was!! So apparently you and I were at ICC at the same time too! Such a small world! Everything about the day was perfect; Cheslin was stunning! It was my first time to meet Kiersten, but we all had a blast together!

      Delete