Tuesday, June 10, 2014

13 Beauty Products I Absolutely Cannot Live Without

 
 
I realize to say that I "absolutely cannot live" without these items sounds extremely egotistical and vain. However, if I'm going to be waddling around this summer, I am determined to look at least halfway pretty doing so. I got the idea for this blog Sunday morning, as Eric and I were rushing to get ready to go to my parents' house for lunch (we had overslept and were way late)! I only had about 15 minutes to get ready, but I wasn't stressed, for I've got the perfect products for a quick but pretty routine!


1. Glamoflauge Heavy Duty Concealer by Hard Candy. I discovered this after the first three pages of my Google search: "best drugstore concealer" returned Glamoflauge as the consecutive first place winner. It goes on light and blends reeeeally well, especially underneath my foundation. It's also a great tool when highlighting or contouring!

$6
 

2. Amy Head Cream Moisture Glow Foundation: The one on the left is my natural shade, while I use the one on the right more for contouring (I'm getting better at it!) I love Amy Head's cream foundation because it goes on super smooth and doesn't feel cakey or nasty like some cream and liquid foundations. It's also sweatproof, which is hard to find but vital for me. I wore it on my wedding day, Cheslin's wedding day, and I'm sure I will wear it for the other two weddings I have this summer; I have no worries when wearing this foundation!
 
 

$34

3. I don't always have time for foundation, so Avon's Ideal Flawless BB cream is my go-to for days when I've only got about five minutes for the face! BB cream is a "blemish balm" cream that has been around for decades, but its popularity on makeup shelves has only gotten popular in the last couple of years. After trying a tube by L'Oreal and then another drugstore brand, I stumbled upon Avon's Ideal Flawless cream. "Sheer coverage" may sound like an oxymoron, but it's the perfect, light look for days when I have little time but need some color on my face. It doesn't feel sticky or cakey, and it's the perfect mix with a loose, translucent powder on top.

$10
 
 
4. Amy Head Cosmetic Sponges: I cannot say enough about these. You may look at the picture and think, But can't I buy those at Walmart? No, you cannot. These particular sponges are actually patented by Amy herself I believe. They are latex free, so they don't absorb the foundation. I wash mine in mild soap and warm water every week and reuse. $8 buys a pack of 12 of these fabulous sponges, and they are worth every penny! I was once picking up a few things in the Amy Head Oxford store, and there were two women there shopping for makeup. One of them, I suppose noticing I was a regular customer, asked if the makeup was "really that good." I gave her an enthusiastic "YES" and then told her "but you also have to get the sponges. They are miracle workers!" I can also use these to swipe on my BB cream when I don't feel like using my hands. They are incredible; I buy a new pack nearly every time I visit the store!

$8 for pack of 12 sponges
 
5. Amy Head Golden Luster Highlighter Powder & Pressed Powder: I combine these as number 5 because I often combine them as I apply them. I can't say enough about the highlighter; it's amazing on my cheekbones and jawline. The pressed powder goes perfectly over everything but is especially useful when contouring. I'll often combine these two for perfect, shimmery coverage over my foundation. Together, they are worthwhile face brighteners!!

Highlighter: $40, Pressed Powder: $34. Anyone wanna volunteer to get me some new ones?? :)
 
 
6. Avon Blush/Bronzer Due: I'm glad I got it when I did because it's no longer available :( I LOVE Avon's blushes, so combined with bronzer, this is one of my faves! Perfect color without being too heavy or intense.
 
 
7. elf Powder Brush: No need to even add a link for this one. All elf brushes are fantastic and are available at Target (and maybe a few other chain stores, not sure), for $1 each. I've had a couple of powder brushes by elf in the past several years, but the bristles on this one are a bit thicker and stiffer; I feel like it holds onto the powder better, so when I swipe it on, it's not all over my neck and hair. If I can only carry a few things with me, I definitely include this fabulous brush.
 
 
8. Amy Head Eyeliner in Sage: I don't wear a lot of eyeliner, but when I do, this sage is my go-to. The color is a greenish gold (it sounds odd, but it's beautiful), and Claire, my favorite makeup artist at Amy Head, used it on me just a couple of months ago. I fell in love with it! It looks especially amazing smudged on the lower lash line, but it's great for top and bottom. I love the texture of it (so smooth!) so much, that I plan to go back for one or two more colors soon!
$20
 
 
9. Victoria's Secret Makeup Mettalized Eye Shadow in Petal to the Metal: I forget that this is an eye shadow because I actually use it all over my face. Sometimes, it's a quick highlight on my cheekbones. Other times, it's a brightener on my brow bone and just a dab above my brows. I love how it can go almost anywhere and look like that's what it was made for.
$8
 
 
10. elf Eyelash Curler: Ahhh, another elf product! Let me just say that I have tried dozens of eyelash curlers in my day. I don't wear much mascara, so instead I like my lashes curled to the extreme to give the illusion that I am. I've tried a $5 curler by Revlon that was okay and $7 one by another brand that was mediocre. The best eyelash curler I have ever used? $2 from elf.
 
 
11. Amy Head Lash Primer and Great Lash Mascara: Honestly, because who doesn't love Great Lash? It wins every magazine's "Best Mascara" nearly every year, and their latest creation, Lots of Lashes, is my new favorite. I'm also a big fan of Benefit's They're Real! mascara ($23). However, I just can't stand to wear a lot of it--I hate taking it off at the end of the day! For an average day, a light coating is all I need. Amy Head's primer is the perfect pre-step when applying mascara; it gives lashes a thicker, "lashier" look and makes mascara glide on 100 times smoother!
Primer: $20 Mascara: $5
 
 
12. Never underestimate the power of.. Baby Powder! I use it everywhere. Literally. On my face, body, and even in my hair. When swiped around and underneath my eyes, it keeps my eye makeup from running. When dotted along my lashes, it makes my mascara look thicker. I used it to prevent chafing on my thighs on my wedding day and still use it when wearing a maxi skirt (because leg sweat isn't fun). And I cannot say enough about it in the hair! It works as a great dry shampoo (I have yet to find a dry shampoo that doesn't suck), plus it holds a tease really well. My sorority's 2012 pledge class found out just how well it holds a tease when they used it in their hair for their skeleton routine for Theta Encore. They were one of the first acts, and the show had to be cancelled because baby powder ruined the floors and wires around the stage. Oh, whups! You can get baby powder anywhere, so I need not post a link. Who knows-- while changing diapers in a few months, I'm likely to just turn the bottle over on my head. Talk about double duty :)
 
 
13. Amy Head Lipstick in Somerset: I've never worn lipstick until I discovered Somerset. It is a perfect nude shade with just a hint of orange on my skin tone. Once I apply it, I need not apply more for several hours, and I top it with a sheer, minty gloss or chapstick. Somerset makes me excited to put on lipstick every day; I never thought I would say that!
$22

 The result? A happy, confident Kate :)



This is 5 minutes after leaving Amy Head studio in Oxford... If only I could look like this every day.
 
 
Not nearly as fabulous when I do it myself... but it works :)
But first... Lemme take a selfie.
                                               
If you're wondering why there are no hair products included here, know that it's because my hair has a mind of its own and no amount of products I use will it ever be able to manipulate it. It does what it wants when it wants, and I just deal with it. My hair stylist, Jessica Evans, is the only person I know who can get it under control. She's amazing. I have an enormous amount of respect for people who do hair for a living; they know how to deal with hair like mine; they've got the magic touch, and I'm so jealous of that!!! 
 
What are your must-have beauty/hair products??
 
Any cool beauty tricks you'd like to share?
 
Comment here or send them to knc9009@gmail.com. If I'll put eggs and vinegar in my hair, I'll definitely try your tricks :)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment