Tuesday, June 17, 2014

First Week on the GD Diet

    
     No, that GD doesn't stand for what you might have immediately thought, but that's how I sometimes feel about it (not really). If you've been reading, you're well aware of my disgusting disgruntling twelve pound gain at my week twenty-four appointment last Monday. Due to the advice of a friend, I requested a copy of the gestational diabetic diet sheet for expectant women and began following it that afternoon, as high weight gain was a concern of mine from the beginning of my pregnancy. Both my sisters gained more than triple the amount of weight a pregnant woman should healthily gain while they were expecting their daughters. Although they only had themselves to blame (and they admit it now), I saw how miserable and uncomfortable they were during their pregnancies and for a while after. It took my oldest sister years to slim back down after having my niece. When I announced I was pregnant, both of them came to me, begging me to practice better habits while pregnant than they did. Eating for two is dead, they told me. You don't want to go through what we did. When the scale moved twelve pounds forward at my last appointment, it was enough to put this whole pregnancy into perspective. I had still been going to the gym four or five times a week, but I knew that I hadn't been eating like I should. Because I'm human, I don't mind admitting that there have been times where I have consumed nearly an entire sleeve of DoubleStuf Oreos because What's it matter? I'm pregnant! Two weekends ago, I was in an Italian wedding; I feasted on nothing but carbs for three days, and I loved every minute of it--probably because I didn't realize what I was doing to myself. My last appointment, however, was just what I needed to permanently snap out of that mentality. I can't do it to my body, and I definitely cannot do it to Vaught's.

     So, I asked for a copy of the diet sheet my doctor gives to women who are diagnosed with gestational diabetes during their pregnancies (he was thrilled that I was taking the initiative) even though I won't know if I have GD for another two weeks.This first week at it has been a little tough, but by following the 2,000-2,200 calorie per day meal plan, I've realized just how much I had been consuming before without even realizing it and have even shed some of that gain (safely and healthily!)

     After looking at the diet sheet my doctor gave me, I realized I'd have to find some replacements for a few of the items (like catfish-blah). This is the grocery list I came up with. The things marked "DT" are items I can purchase at the Dollar Tree near my house. Sorry not sorry--Dollar Tree is the stuff.


     Obviously, the GD diet doesn't call for a  lot of fruits. Although they're full of natural sugars, the good kind that our bodies need, a large component of this diet is cutting way back on sugar altogether. And consuming very little of it in the morning, I noticed! It's also generally low carb. I can't stand when people say they're on a no-carb diet. Um, hello? I'm no fitness expert, but I know that our bodies require some carbs in there! But lowering your carb intake a little can never hurt. 

My girl, LC, drinks milk :)
     I made a few changes of my own, such as with the milk. I am a milk guzzler. Growing up, we drank 2% at my house, and between me, my dad, and my brother we went through two gallons per week. In my own home, a gallon usually lasts me a little more than a week, but when I was going through my major cereal phase, I had to get a gallon and a half nearly every weekend! And please don't tell me I shouldn't drink it; I can't stand the you should only drink almond/soy/organic milk fad, and yes, I personally believe it is a fad unless you're lactose intolerant or one of those people who would just rather pay double the price for organic food. Amy Pohler says it best in Baby Mama: "That stuff's for rich people who hate themselves." People have been drinking milk for centuries, and it's not killed anyone. And if it has, I'm willing to take my chances.
Sorry. Anyway, I refuse to drink skim milk. It's okay in cereal, but when drinking it out of a glass, it just tastes like white water. Ew. So I've switched to 1%. Typically twenty less calories per serving and a tad less sugar :) I apologize for getting on my soap box about milk, but I once went grocery shopping with a friend who took my gallon of 2% out of the shopping cart (without asking me), and replaced it with a carton of Silk, smiled at me and said, "You'll never be healthy drinking that stuff."  
It put a more sour taste in my mouth than milk ever could.
 

     The diet also calls for catfish for a few of the dinners. I like fish okay in general, but catfish just isn't something kept in the Pace household; we are chicken, turkey, and beef people! However, I can eat an entire can of tuna completely raw. Disgusting, I know! I add in a boiled egg, just a little bit of mayo, a dash of salt, and some pepper. Tuna sandwiches are always yummy!

     Turkey bacon::: I finally gave it a try a little over a year ago. Since then, we've not purchased regular bacon (unless it's just at a really good price)! Although we are big-time lovers of "real bacon," my husband and I both love how much healthier and cheaper turkey bacon is, as well as how good it tastes when seasoned with a little pepper. Seriously, I cannot tell a big difference at all except for the texture. Although you can have real bacon on the GD diet, I'm sticking with turkey bacon for now. Twenty-five calories/slice versus 90 calories/slice!
    I've also almost completely ditched Coca Cola, one of my most favorite things in the world!! I did have half a can Friday afternoon though :) Other than that, I have drank nothing but water all week long. I may love Coca Cola, but I also reeeeally love water too! For years when I was younger water was all I drank, and when I got older Coke was my beverage of choice only when dining out. I feel like I've drank more in my adulthood than I have in my entire life before! It's hard at 2 o'clock in the afternoon on a busy week day when an ice cold Sonic Coke would be the most amazing thing for a tired mama. And speaking of mama, mine doesn't help much when she sends me out of the office around three in the afternoon on a Sonic Coke run! But the swelling in my ankles and wrists has been almost non-existent since I've switched to water. That's motivation to keep chugging the H20!

     Once again, around the end of April, I returned to my almost-daily trips to Starbucks for hot lattes or a frappucino that often added an extra 300-400 calories to my daily intake. I'm proud to say I've not been to Starbucks in a few days, except for Friday morning; I cannot do my Friday morning without a hot, end-of-the-week latte! But instead of the cinnamon dolce, I ordered a double tall skinny vanilla. It was surprisingly good! I know I'll never be able to cut Starbucks completely out of my life (I'm a coffee enthusiast after all), but I do plan on making the switch to non-fat and sugar free concoctions. That mocha cookie crumble frappucino is just going to have to be an every once in a while treat! 

     Isn't it kind of ironic how every time you aim to make your eating habits a little healthier someone around you shows up with cookies, brownies, or blueberry muffins?  I work at a land office in north Mississippi, and last week our representatives from our Georgia office were here visiting. One of the them baked homemade blueberry muffins the second day they were here. I had to have one; it was amazing!


       I overslept one day and desperately needed some coffee. I stopped at McDonald's for a latte, but their machine was down (surprise, surprise). So I supplemented with a strawberry sweet tea from Sonic. If you've not had one of these, you're missing out! They're amazing!!!! I like the unsweet version too, but I just had to have a little sugar! 

                    

  Cooking supper this past week has been a fun experience; by Thursday, my husband was sooo sick of baked chicken and vegetables. The picture below is from Thursday night I believe. By then, I was running out of veggies and just threw this together.


     I'm one of those rare people who love to grocery shop! Target has the BEST packages of chicken breasts ever! Each serving is 4-6 ounces, and comes pre-seasoned with garlic and herbs and all sorts of other great spices! So on Wednesday afternoon I left work and headed straight for Target. I got all of the below for under $25. Their marketplace is typically a bit pricier than grocery stores, but they always have great deals on certain items, so I got what I could for a bargain. 


     They had boxes upon boxes of granola bars for $1.20/box and large bottles of Smart Water for just $1! I also stocked the freezer on some frozen veggies (I prefer fresh produce, but frozen's good to have on hand).

     We also have a couple of "fruit guys" that stop by our office once a week, their trucks loaded down with locally grown fruits and vegetables. They're such sweet guys, and they always have great deals on their produce! I always stock up when they visit! They usually have some of the best peaches and strawberries that you could never find in a grocery store!



     As I said, Eric was so sick of chicken and veggies by Thursday, he had me make a reservation for the two of us at Texas de Brazil in Memphis for Friday night. If you've never been to TdB, pleeeeease put it on your bucket list! We try to go once every couple of months, and it always helps to be a loyal follower of their email list :)

On our way to TdB in Memphis :))

      I thought it would be especially hard sticking to it over the weekend, but it was surprisingly easy. When I'm hit with a hard craving, I just think to myself healthy mama, healthy baby. It makes making healthy choices so much easier. So, since last Tuesday (technically Monday evening, lol), I have felt ten times better! I feel lighter and less bloated. And I know I am because my scale today is still showing a loss of about six-seven pounds. I think the water-only switch has made all the difference in the world; I can't believe how little my feet swell now! I'm becoming a quite a big fan of the GD diet and am glad I began following it at twenty-five weeks. I may be saying "diet" now, but I know that this would be a great meal plan to stick with as I transition back into a permanently healthy lifestyle once Vaught arrives. After all, healthy is a lifestyle, not a diet, right? :)  

     I have been writing, adding to, and taking away from this post for a little more than a week now, so for once I'm exhausted with the blogosphere tonight! But again, I want to say thank you for reading and to those who are loyally coming back. I know I probably annoy the heck out of  my Instagram and Twitter followers with my blog posts, but it sparks curiosity which sparks interest which sparks enthusiasm and a willingness to keep coming back. I really appreciate all of you who are reading.
 

Look for my Week 26 Update this Thursday!


2 comments:

  1. This post was great! I wish so bad I would have followed a good diet plan while I was pregnant with Luke! I of gained 25ish pounds, give or take a few, but I felt TERRIBLE almost every day after my 6th month. Having toxemia was a lot of the problem, but I DEFINITELY wasn't a healthy eater, nor did I exercise enough:( Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember keeping up with you via Instagram during your pregnancy, and you looked so good throughout! That's the thing about pregnancy--some women carry it so so well, you'd never know they were miserable! I definitely have my moments... I sometimes feel so cute, then other days it's like "omg I'm an elephant!
      Thanks so much for reading and commenting, Chel :) Love you

      Delete