Sunday, May 10, 2015

Motherhood is...

What can I say about motherhood? What can I say that hasn't already been said? All the pretty words have been taken. I spent half an hour on Pinterest yesterday looking for a good quote to send my mom for Mother's Day, and I couldn't decide; there were too many. Such beautiful, intricately written words. I'm a good writer, sure. I'm pretty articulate, fairly well-spoken, but nothing that I can say can really compare to the words of those before me. What can I tell you that you don't already know?
 
Motherhood is taking advantage of the opportunity to say "shit" and the f-word in front of your mom and other adults during the birth process. I laughed, I cried, and within thirty minutes, all I wanted to do was sleep. I was so in love with our new baby boy, but gosh I needed sleep. I felt guilty for calling the nursery to come get him so I could get some rest. That's motherhood.

9/25/2014
Motherhood is looking at that squirmy, wrinkly, slimy, beautiful little thing and loving it more than you thought possible. Motherhood is wondering at the same time: How long is he going to cry like that?

October 2014
 
Motherhood is going five weeks before you get crapped on and being really proud to take this picture.
 
November 014

November 2014
Motherhood is a napping baby on your chest and your refusal to wake him up, even though you have to pee. It's enjoying a bubble bath with him while he's too young to ask questions.
 
November 2014

December 2014
Motherhood is goofy selfies. Motherhood is smiling just to hold it together.

November 2014
Motherhood is losing your dignity at a college football game and trusting that your baby is safe with your mom and dad while you act like an idiot.

November 2014
Motherhood is appreciating the body that carried and delivered your baby. It's being okay with yourself.
 
March 2015

March 2015

March 2015
 It's soaking in every little moment, every smile, every giggle... every finger into your nostril just to keep him amused.

March 2015
 
Motherhood is knowing that eating out with your friends will never be the same again. It's breaking into the employee bathroom at Barnes and Noble because you refuse to use the public bathroom to change a diaper.
 
5/9/15
Motherhood is letting him ride like this for the sake of naptime (we didn't go very far).

5/9/15
 
It's lots of selfies to remember exactly what your little family looked like at different times in your lives.
 
5/8/15
 Motherhood is that scary feeling you get when you realize you need to pee on a stick again. Motherhood is feeling relieved when it's negative... and just the slightest bit disappointed. Motherhood is knowing you'd be perfectly fine had it been positive.
 Motherhood is trusting God's timing.
 
Motherhood is... everything. But I've already said that. Motherhood is accepting that things might come along that you don't expect. It's laughing when you want to cry. It's wondering if you're doing enough, if you'll have enough, if you'll be enough.
 
Motherhood is all the beautiful words in the world and a speechlessness all at once.
 
Happy Mother's Day to mothers everywhere. Know that you are so loved and appreciated on this day and always :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment