Monday, May 18, 2015

Sunday Funday {& Basil Pesto Chicken Pasta Recipe!}

Sunday is one of my favorite days of the week! 

1. It's "God's day" and we try our hardest to make it to church in Potts Camp to worship with our friends and family. 
2. It's "Eric's morning," and I get to sleep in while he gets up with Vaught whenever he wakes up. Sometimes I'll get up and go to the gym, but I always love sleeping in!
3. We (I) always cook something yummy for supper!

Snapchats are fun :)
I know I'm not the only one who sometimes feels like Sunday is the hardest day of the week... We rush around the house trying to make it to church on time. Then it's challenging not to rush through the afternoon and evening as we try to get ready for the work week ahead. But I personally try to make Sunday as fun and enjoyable as possible!

Yesterday we went to church then spent a rainy afternoon at my parents' house. Eric and my dad grilled hamburgers and hotdogs, while I stayed inside with my mom and sisters and made rotel dip! Vaught got to play with his two cousins, my nieces, and he had a blast! My aunt got him a tent that they played in, which made for some adorable pictures.


Vaught napped with my mom, then napped most of the way home, then napped most of the afternoon! While he slept, I perused our pantry and fridge for dinner ideas, but couldn't settle on anything I liked. I had a hankering for pasta, so I decided to take a trip to Target for a few ingredients to make a big pasta dish we could eat on for a couple of days.

I love using penne rigate pasta noodles, so I grabbed two boxes of those, a pack of boneless skinless chicken breasts, a bag of spinach leaves (these are delicious in pasta and add a few more good-for-you nutrients!) and a new kind of basil pesto sauce, all from Target!

Vaught is a Starbucks thief!!
He always takes my cup when I'm done. This kid loves a straw!


I wasn't sure how this dish would turn out, but it was fantastic! Eric loved it! So I've listed the recipe and cooking instructions below. Enjoy!!

Ingredients:
2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cooked and diced into small pieces
1/4 C Basil Pesto Sauce (I used Archer Farms, $2.99 at Target, but you can also make this yourself).
2 C Spinach
2 C Penne Rigate Pasta Noodles
2 Tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I only buy EVOO from specialty olive oil shops. My new favorite is J.Olive in Oxford, MS).
Salt/Pepper to taste

Directions:
Cook 2 chicken breasts in pan with a drizzle of EVOO.
While chicken is cooking, boil 3 cups of water in a large sauce pan. Add 2 cups of penne pasta noodles once water begins to boil.
Let boil for ten to fifteen minutes then simmer and drain.
Add 1/4 cup basil pesto sauce, 2 cups spinach, and chicken.
Stir and let simmer. You may need to add a little bit of water if your mixture is too thick!
Add 2 tablespoons of EVOO before serving.
Add salt/pepper to your liking. I added just a dash of salt and a few dashes of pepper!


We had our pasta with organic Alexia rolls (from Kroger's organic freezer aisle) and a side salad. Hope you enjoy this dish as much as we did!

7 comments:

  1. Yum! I love light-ish chicken and pasta dishes for summer. Anything to avoid heating up the house in the Mississippi heat. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! It's easy and delicious and diednt require very much prep!

      Delete
  2. This looks so, so, so good... I've been craving pasta for awhile, but I haven't wanted anything too heavy. This looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good pasta recipe! This looks delicious!
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! And it is; give it a try sometime!

      Delete
  4. dang that makes me hungry and want some like right now! :) Need to try that recipe! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete