Wednesday, May 13, 2015

I have a job!

Remember last week's post about being uncertain of the future? Well, the anxiety and waiting and sitting on pins and needles can finally end-- I have a job! 

In the past month, I have interviewed at three different schools. At first, I really wanted to keep my job here at Oxford High School, but after two interviews for English positions as opposed to special education, I felt my heart tugging me back in the direction of English.

I interviewed for a middle school a little more than an hour from our home in Olive Branch and knew that if I got that job we'd be moving this summer. Then on Monday of this week I interviewed at a middle school 11.4 miles from our home. The principal called me yesterday to tell me that they really didn't want to interview anyone else yet. "We really like you and want you to be on our team next year... I want to officially offer you the job." 

I've learned to not rush into an acceptance unless you're 100% certain about the job, so I asked to think it over with my husband. Well, the conversation with Eric didn't last sixty seconds. "I think you should take it," he told me. We quickly hashed out the pros and cons of this job, and there were just too many positives in this opportunity for me to turn down. For the first time I am going to have a commute to work that is less than twenty minutes! 

I called the principal at Byhalia Middle School this morning and accepted a position teaching sixth grade English next year. The relief I felt after the phone call was all the assurance I needed; I knew I'd done the right thing. I get to be 11.4 miles from home when I go to work each day. I get to be home before 4pm and spend more time with Vaught. I get to go back to teaching English--the entire reason I became a teacher. I get to wear red and blue again... at least I'm pretty sure Byhalia's colors are red and blue! 

I'm so excited to be "starting over." My first two years as a teacher were not that great. I take full responsibility for things I did wrong and was always ready and willing to admit when I made a mistake, but there were so many things out of my control. I let certain people hurt me and tear me down. No one can do that anymore. I've learned so much about myself in the year I took off from teaching. No one can steal or control my "happy." I am stronger than I think. I've been through job loss and childbirth; I am not afraid of anything. 

With all of this being said, I have been one crappy blogger lately, but I promise I'm about to get better! I have been stressed over my job situation but can finally rest. And speaking of rest, I'm excited to be a stay-at-home mom this summer! I'm going to soak up every little moment with my growing guy. He (and I) deserves it! 

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, lovely! I'm so glad to hear that you'll be starting your new job soon. So unbelievably happy for you, I love hearing that your dreams are coming true! :) Best of luck for the new school year, doll. You'll do fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That is so exciting! There must have been a reason you were led to English! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always loved writting--hence, this blog! I love sharing my love of writing and literature with students. I'm looking forward to a great year!

      Delete
  4. Congrats! I live in TX now but I'm from MS my inlaws live in Brookhaven and I have family that lives in Byhalia! Small world! Enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia, that is so awesome! It's a small world after all! I grew up in Potts Camp and now live on the edge of Olive Branch, very close to Byhalia!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you landed a great job! Congratulations. So excited for you. And 11.4 miles from the house is awesome. Not far at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! I am too excited about this opportunity!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! This sounds wonderful :) Enjoy the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!!! :) Good luck with the new job.

    ReplyDelete