Friday, December 4, 2015

3 times I didn't cry when I should have

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being "one of those moms," but I'm proud to say I'm not one. I would honestly describe my parenting style as "whatever." Of course I keep a good eye on our little guy as he's learning and exploring his surroundings, but I've let him play in the dog's water bowl on several occasions, as well as allowed him to crawl inside the dishwasher at least once. I've not locked our cabinets or plugged up the outlets (my mother-in-law is going to be calling me on that one).

**I began writing this about a month ago, and since then we have locked our cabinets, but Vaught is my and Eric's child, and locks do not necessarily stop him.**

From about six weeks old, I've let pretty much anyone hold him and play with him, and I've eaten my words on plenty of things I said I'd never do as a mother (except co-sleep, which we haven't done at all). Another thing I've not done very often? Cry. I cried a little when I met him, but since then, my eyes have remained pretty dry for the most part, at least when it comes to Vaught.

Below are three times I didn't cry when I probably should have.

1. Wellness Shots
Not going to lie: it was difficult watching him scream for a few seconds for those first six week shots, but I was totally tough about it. I remember whispering "Be a tough guy" to him, and he stopped crying after a few seconds. Since then, I've been a real trooper through shots, though those one year ones were a doozy. He's so tough though! Even through a nasty finger prick at his last appointment, he didn't cry one time.

2. First Day at Daycare
This is probably the strangest one. I was working with my mother at the time, and we both joked about what a difficult day it was going to be. Well, until it wasn't. At all. I loved where I sent him for daycare and though I had just met the women who took care of the eight or so children who attended, I trusted them one hundred percent. I remember dropping him off with a kiss and having a fantastic day at work! It was the same when I moved him to a daycare a few miles from our home when I began my new job. I'd heard wonderful things about the place and everyone there is so welcoming and friendly. Vaught is so happy every day when I pick him up. Actually, I have yet to hear him cry when I drop him off, and he's always happy and playing with other children when I pick him up in the afternoon!
Our little guy the morning of his first day at daycare!


3. First Birthday
I honestly expected to cry on September 25th of this year. I woke up and went into his room and looked down at him. Come on, tears! I thought. They never came. I just remember feeling so strong and proud. I made this, I thought while looking at him. I carried him and sustained him and delivered him easily and healthily a year ago. I am his mama. Pride. That's what I felt on his birthday, not sadness. I am so proud of him and thankful for having him in our lives. I am completely in love with him. God could not have made him any more perfect or beautiful.

Abraham Lincoln is quoted for saying "Whatever you are, be a good one." I love that, so I'm simply going to put the maternal twist on it... It matters not what kind of mother you are; just be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment