Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Vaught's Birth Story

     It's Tuesday, September 23rd, and I'm getting a head start on this since I know I will have little to no time once he arrives. At my week 38 appointment, my doctor mentioned inducing me at forty weeks if we went that far. I was about a centimeter dilated and he said we'd give it another week and see how it goes. Turns out our concerns were his too; this baby is getting BIG! I don't really know the figures on it, and it turns out that much of the ones you can find are inaccurate, but many women need to be induced by 40 weeks due to baby's size. At 38 weeks, Vaught was already measuring to weigh 8 and 1/2 pounds, just slightly larger than average. Not only that, much of his measurements (femur, brain, stomach) showed that they had been fully developed since early September.
     A few things about my doctor before we continue... I would describe him as a cool, easygoing guy, the kind of guy I'd be friends with if he weren't my doctor. He's young (early 30's maybe) and was randomly assigned to me when I began using the women's clinic in Oxford in 2011. He was new at the time but from that first appointment with him just a few days shy of my twenty-first birthday, I knew he would be the doctor I'd use as long as I could--the doctor who would hopefully deliver any children I had in the future. Who knew that we'd be there just three years later?! Anyway, he's someone I trust and can talk to easily, perfect qualities in the person you want handling the delivery of your first baby. So when he mentioned induction, I panicked if only for a moment. I knew that he wouldn't bring it up, much less recommend it if he didn't fully believe that it would be fine to go through with it or if the baby wasn't ready.
     So at my week 39 appointment Monday, he asked if I'd given it any thought.
I had.
     He wanted to check me before we went any further. I'd made no progress as far as dilation goes since the previous week. It really doesn't mean anything, but I knew that this was probably a good sign that going ahead with an induction would be the best for Vaught and me. Since I was still just about a centimeter, my doctor said we'd put me in Wednesday night and get me started with a Foley catheter (look it up). This will hopefully dilate me from a 1 to a 4 or 5. Once I'm at a 4, things may begin to roll along easily without other cervical dilation drugs, or I may need to be started on Pitocin once the catheter comes out. He says that it's an effective method that almost always delivers exceptional results in dilating the cervix. He even said that many women end up not needing Pitocin with a successful catheter.
It all sounds great to me!
 
     So it's 2:30 on Tuesday, and although I have a horrible cold and can barely speak, I've been buzzing around like a busy bee today, cleaning house, folding laundry, and restocking the fridge and pantry. I tried to shop the way my husband would if he were broke and single... Still spent $20 more than I intended to.

Just trying to get this house in order before we return from the hospital Friday or Saturday. We are aiming for our special delivery by midday Thursday. If by C-section, we probably won't go home until Saturday or Sunday. By if all goes well, my doctor said we could shoot for a Friday evening or Saturday morning release. I even got Lola and Ginger treats to have while they're boarded at the vet and then some for when they come home to their new baby brother. We are just too excited!

I guess I should be honest and say that I am just a little nervous, but I've got God and a great team behind me. Eric and my mother will be with me when we go in tomorrow night, and they're honestly all I need right now. I can't believe how close we are to meeting Vaught! I feel as if I've been waiting my entire life...


Wednesday

     I spent most of the day finishing laundry and putting a few final touches on his room and bassinet so that we'd be totally ready (ready as first time parents could be) for him to come home. At around 2 I took a shower and curled my hair and Eric was home by 3. I figured we could leave the house by 3:30 and be on our way to Holly Springs to drop off Lola and Ginger. For some reason, Eric suddenly got really organized and pulled his duffel bag from the truck and re-packed it. Twice. So that put us at nearly 4 leaving. We dropped the original little Paces off at the vet and then were on our way to Oxford and walking through the doors of the ER at precisely 5:30. Getting signed in was easy, as I had preregistered back in June. We were in a labor and delivery room within ten minutes. Little did I know, I wouldn't see the outside of this room for more than 24 hours.

     The nurses immediately came in and began getting me "ready:" gown on, blood drawn, IV needle in, the works. At 7:30, my doctor arrived (in street clothes, mind you) and attempted to insert the Foley balloon. It was probably one of the most uncomfortable procedures I've ever had to endure, and it ended up not working. For some reason, my cervix had decided to completely close. Tears streamed down my face (from both pain and disappointment) as my doctor told me it wasn't working. "We have two options," he said. "We can try Cervadil" (he went on to explain what it was--look it up) "or you can go home and wait another week." I looked to my husband for an answer, though I already knew what we would do. We had just found out that his mother had flown into town from Virginia once she knew I was going to be induced. I already had a waiting room full of family and friends who would end up staying the 24 hour period it would be before Vaught arrived. Although I knew it would be a long night and long day the following day, I decided to move forward with the Cervadil.

     It was inserted about half an hour later at 8pm and around 10:30 I could feel the pressure. That's all it was at first--pressure. But by 2am, I was having painful cramps. I was moaning and whimpering and would fall asleep for just a moment only to be awoken by the pain. I finally asked for pain medication and slept beautifully once it was administered through my IV. It wore off quickly though, and I was in pain again by 5. At 6 I got more medicine and was pretty comfortable until the Cervadil was taken out at 8am Thursday morning.

     Right after it was taken out, my doctor came in to insert the Foley balloon, which worked and was much less of a painful procedure now that I was back at 1cm. The nurses told me I could walk around for a few minutes and get a shower if I wanted, which I thought would be a good idea.
Wrong. How very wrong I was . 
     The balloon was on top of my cervix... The baby was on top of the balloon... All of this pressure pressing down, down, down, and within 45 minutes I was in agonizing pain. It was seriously the worst 30 minutes of the entire experience, and I think I'm doing pretty good to have only had a half hour of serious pain. My husband held my hand as I clenched my teeth and whimpered through it while waiting on the nurses to administer more pain relief. Nurse Crystal came in and began to put something in my IV, and that's the last thing I remember. I slept comfortably until 11. By that time, I was beginning to dilate pretty well, so the catheter wasn't putting as much pressure on my cervix. Thus, I wasn't in near as much pain. At 2:30pm, I was 4cm dilated, so it was ready to come out, and we were prepared to get the ball rolling with Pitocin. By that time, I was estimating that Vaught would make his arrival by 6 that night. I told my mom I wanted pizza ordered so that we could have a party in the postpartum recovery room once he was here. Did I mention that by this time I'd gone nearly 24 hours without eating anything other than ice??

     The nurse came in at 3 and told me I could get my epidural at any time since I was now nearly 5cm. I thought that was a little odd since I was really not in any pain at the time. My mother was in there as the nurse was talking to me though, and she encouraged me to go ahead and get it, as those contractions might hit me hard and fast once they really got going. I still waited until four for the epidural. I have to say that it's really not as painful going in as some people say. I was still a little loopy from all the pain medication I'd been given that morning, but I remember a sharp, quick prick and some pressure on my spine as I leaned into Nurse Crystal. Where was my husband at the time?? In the cafeteria... with 2 jumbo hamburgers and a box of fries.

     Within ten minutes, my entire lower half was numb. It was an odd feeling; I thought epidurals were supposed to make your lower body completely immobile. Turns out that's called a spinal block and they typically don't administer those to women in labor anymore. I could wiggle my toes and feet and bend my knees; I just couldn't lift my legs or feel them. I pinched and pinched and felt nothing.
I had visitors coming in and out to see me for the next hour. I had always said that there would be no visitors when we were at the hospital, but I was feeling so good I didn't even care. Around 5 I decided to take a nap and it was an hour of the best sleep I'd ever gotten. I was so calm and relaxed. Thank heavens for the person who invented the epidural!

     By 7, something wasn't right. I could completely feel and move the entire left side of my body and could feel the very constant, very sharp contractions on that side. I called in a nurse to ask if it was normal. She said it was and to give it a while longer to take effect on that side. At 7:30, things were even more intense; I had thrown up twice already due to the discomfort. I called another nurse and we decided to redo my epidural. I knew that it was okay to feel pressure, but I was feeling serious pain; it seemed like the epidural had just skipped out on the left side of my body. Fifteen minutes later, my epidural had been redone (painless) and I was feeling amazing. I had been 8cm before we redid it, so I thought I had at least another hour or two ahead of me to rest. I was excited to take another nap! But then my nurse decided to examine me again just in case. "Well that's why you were in pain!" she said. "You're ten centimeters!"

     Eric was right beside me, feeding me ice out of a cup, and we looked at each other like... No way. "It's time?" he said. "It's time," the nurse told him.

     We called in my mom and my dad and I was starting to push by 8pm. I'll spare you the details and just skip to 8:27, when Vaught arrived. I had never felt so relieved, overjoyed, overwhelmed, and happy all at once. He weighed 8 pounds and 1 ounce and was 20 and 1/2 inches long. My nurses and doctor were amazing throughout the whole experience. A few minutes later I was holding him and we let the rest of our visitors come in to meet him. They only stayed for a few minutes though and we didn't pass him around; I told the nurses that I didn't want anyone holding him until we were ready for visitors the following day. Those first few hours were important to me, and I spent most of the night holding him, drifting in and out of sleep.

     I was surprised at how quickly the epidural wore off and how easy it was for me to walk around later that night and early morning. I was prepared for intense pain, but it never came. It was more like a mild soreness that would get a little strong if I stood for too long, but by Friday night I could walk around pretty easily and was ready to do so; I had been sitting for two days straight! We had a room full of visitors Friday night and Vaught finally got to be passed around and admired by his new family. We were glad to be released Saturday morning and were home just shortly after noon.

     Looking back now, it all passed by so fast, and I almost can't believe he's finally here. It's a very surreal feeling... I was still pregnant just a week ago. I spent 9 months preparing for him then suddenly he arrived and it's a very big, very abrupt adjustment.
But a good one.

Our first few days together have been wonderful but a little emotional. He's not the best little sleeper at nighttime, but I know it will get better! I feel great today, but I do have a mild case of the baby blues... There is no greater joy than having a baby, but at the same time it's very overwhelming. My heart gets so full when I look at him, I can't help but cry sometimes. But with each day it gets easier, and I'm slowly starting to feel like myself again. Vaught has a newborn photo session tomorrow, and I am so excited! He's down for his afternoon nap now, so I'm about to go pick out some outfits for him for his pictures. Wish us luck!!!

Fourth Trimester Project

     The fourth trimester project began Friday, September 28th, and is going really well so far. I am resting and recovering but am taking Vaught on a couple of short stroller walks each day. The sun feels soooo good for both of us! My final total pregnancy weight gain (as of last Monday's final prenatal appointment) was 29 pounds. And that was obviously a lot of fluid because I have already lost 24 pounds of it. I kid not; I am 5 pounds from the weight I was at our first appointment February 12th. I'm not calling that number my pre-pregnancy weight because I logged back into my MyFitnessPal account (after several months) I looked back at my weight record and saw what it really was. I am 13 pounds from my precise pre-pregnancy weight, the lowest it was while I was eating and exercising well. It makes me so excited to already be down 24 pounds. I know, I know; it seems like a lot, but keep in mind that I was carrying an 8 pound baby, placenta, and lots of blood and fluid... Yeah, it's pretty gross, but hey, I feel thin for the first time in month! I'm not eating entirely well, which is odd for me. I've never in my life had a problem with not eating, but I think the baby blues have been getting the best of my appetite. I've made a goal to try and eat a little more throughout the day. I definitely don't want to get back to where I was due to a low appetite.
 
6 days postpartum... Where's my big belly?!
     I'm excited to return to the gym maybe towards the end of next week, but in the meantime I'm getting plenty of rest, bonding with our sweet baby boy, and taking it reeeeal easy. I have so many goals I want to reach, and I'm so excited to be back on the road to reaching them.

Pictures



Selfie before leaving for the hospital!

Putting on my pink socks that this one nurse kept asking me to take off!!! Grrrrr.
Our first picture together... Love him so so much.


He's definitely got my "WTF" face!

The day after delivery I craved nothing but fruit!

Ready for all our visitors Friday night!


So in love with this.

I don't wanna go a day without you. I just wanna be the one that makes you happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment