Thursday, October 23, 2014

#4thTP...4 Weeks Postpartum

Vaught Charles is four weeks old, and I am four weeks postpartum as of today. I feel incredible... And I'm finally starting to think that I might even look it, at least for having had a baby just a month ago! Seriously, I am not bragging on myself, but I think motherhood does wonderful things for a woman. I've noticed that my friends who have had children are even more beautiful than they were before... It's the glow of a good mommy :)
Maternity tees have become great lounge/workout shirts!
     Pounds gained during pregnancy: 29
Pounds lost since delivery day: 35
Pounds to go: 44
 
      Now that my appetite is back in full swing, my weight has teetered on the same 2-3 pounds for the past week or two. I'm two pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight, the lowest I ever was before finding out I was pregnant. I can tell I'm very close to reaching that goal, but I have started weight training again, so I'm also fairly certain that I'm finally getting some muscle back. The two areas that took the biggest hit during pregnancy are my midsection and legs, so I am working those with some lightweight squats, heavy leg presses, and several minutes of planks every other day. I was able to hold a plank for a minute and a half just a year ago... I am slowly working back to being able to hold one for forty seconds! These are fantastic for tummy-toning!

     My best workouts so far have come this past week. I'm now burning about 250-400 calories at each workout and am trying to secure at least forty minutes at the gym, but that doesn't always happen! I am running again--not just jogging, but really running. I do 1.5-2 miles on the treadmill then weight training.


 
My pre-workout supplement. Soooo yummy!
 
 

Nutrition

As I've said before, the reason why past weight loss attempts didn't really work for me, at least not for long periods of time, was due to poor diet and a lack of healthy, sensible foods in my pantry and fridge. In the last year, I've really stepped it up in the kitchen. I'm still a fan of Hamburger Helper dishes (what young wife isn't?!), but I limit these dishes to just once or twice a week. Instead we opt for lean beef with whole grain rice and veggies or baked chicken with baked potatoes and sautéed veggies. I love our enthusiasm for vegetables; I hope Vaught grows up loving them as well! Fresh fruit and yogurt are grocery list staples as well. And I eat peanut butter at least once a day--it's good for you and delicious on so many things!
Lunch usually looks about like this :)

I still make my famous enchiladas, but I use less cheese on mine.
I also aim to use whole grain tortillas, but these were left over from when
my in-laws visited and bought us groceries.
 
I have to say that the past four weeks have treated me well. I was so excited to return to the gym; it makes me feel good to know I'm doing something good for myself. I can't wait to see how my body progresses and changes in the next few months. I will do a six week update in two weeks, so check back :)

Come back Saturday morning for Vaught's ONE MONTH update :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment