Thursday, October 16, 2014

#4thTP... 3 Weeks Postpartum

I've gotten so much positive feedback about the Fourth Trimester Project, and it makes me so excited! So I wanted to give you an update, as promised. I've looked back at the tons of notes I made on exactly how I would get back in shape after baby, and I've realized that I was a little overly obsessive about keeping my regimen super strict and organized. I thought I'd wait exactly three weeks until I attempted any exercise, then another two weeks before I went back to the gym, then another two weeks and so forth... Instead, I've taken a different route by listening to my body.

     Every woman recovers from labor and delivery in her own way at her own pace, and that's no surprise at all. Some have long, difficult labors and feel like their old selves within a week, while others can have the easiest deliveries and take more than a month to completely heal. Me? It was probably day nine when I began to feel like I was completely heal... and like my old self. And I had a pretty easy labor and super easy (almost fun) delivery.

     Day fifteen was my return to the gym for some light cardio. I did fifteen minutes on a stationary bike then two miles on the treadmill, alternating walking and jogging. I was a little nervous to run, but it wasn't bad at all. I waited to feel sore the next day, but I didn't, so I went back once Eric was home from work and performed the same regimen. Monday evening I did twenty minutes on the treadmill then a short arm and shoulder workout with free weights. My arms felt a little jello-y the next day--and I could definitely feel it while carrying Vaught around!! But overall, it felt soooo good to sweat and know that I was doing something good for my body. Eric, my big powerlifter of a husband, is helping me put my workouts back together, and my gym days are going to be Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. He helps me design short but explosive workouts that take no longer than an hour; in my opinion, there's just no need to spend hours at the gym at one time. I only do that when training for a race. Speaking of that, I've got to find some 5K/10K's next spring!

Above is a comparison picture: 39 weeks pregnant vs. 15 days postpartum. On day 15 I hit my first appointment weight and was 8 pounds from pre-pregnancy weight. My Nike compression pants, tank, and favorite Nike sports bras finally fit again!!
 
Non Scale Victory Sunday: MY NORTS FIT AGAIN!!!
                                          
 

Above is Monday night's post-workout progress photo. I was three pounds from pre-pregnancy weight. A lot of people ask, so I'll tell you: the watch I wear is a Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor Watch. It monitors my heart rate (duh), duration and intensity of workouts, as well as the calories burned. It comes with a band you wear around your midsection (I always put mine right underneath the band of my bra) and gives you the most accurate reading of your heart rate and calories burned during your workout. With appropriate gym equipment, it also sends your reading to the machine you're using so you don't always have to look at your watch. I absolutely love my Polar watch and highly recommend it!! Since I use the MyFitnessPal app on iPhone to log my food, I can easily log the calories I burn during a workout too. I got mine from Amazon.com for about $50. Order yours here.


Workout 4 last night was pretty simple. I did a mile on the treadmill walking/jogging, then another arm and shoulder workout. I really wanted to do some nonweighted squats or lunges, but my husband is begging me to wait until I'm cleared by my doctor. I definitely see his point and appreciate his concern, but I think when I hit four weeks next week, I'm going to have to put a bar on my shoulders... My legs and midsection suffered the most during pregnancy as far as fat and weight gain, and I cannot wait to start toning these areas again.

     As of today, Thursday, October 16th, I am ONE pound from my pre-pregnancy weight!! I weigh less than I did on my wedding day, though I'm pretty sure I passed that milestone sometime last week. I feel fantastic. Since delivering three weeks ago, I've lost 36 pounds. Yes, I am eating. Healthily. It seems that what a couple of my experienced mom friends told me was true; if you're heavier, the weight really does fall right off. In that first week, I wasn't eating much at all, but since then I'm consuming about 1,800-2,000 calories per day. Not only that, but my diet is super healthy once again. From about month six onward, I didn't really crave healthy food. I wanted salt and sugar constantly. In the last month of pregnancy I drank a Coke nearly every day. I guess I fell off the wagon in a sense, but since delivering, I crave fruits nearly every day. During Vaught's afternoon naps, I'll go ahead and lay out dinner or start cooking. We've been eating a lot of baked chicken and vegetables and brown rice lately! I'm also back to strictly water (and of course a little milk!). Water was always a huge key for me when trying to slim down; every time I would cut out Coke, I'd lose ten pounds in a month from that alone! It's so important to me to not deprive myself of what I enjoy while slimming down, so every couple of days Vaught and I will make a quick trip to the Starbucks two miles away for a sweetened iced coffee or iced caramel macchiato. Always treat yourself!

Overall, I feel amazing... Like I'm on my way to my very best self. I'm so blessed to have bounced back from pregnancy so quickly. I know that staying active and healthy (for the most part) throughout pregnancy has so much to do with it. I have a new appreciation for my body and what it can do. Although I've got a long way to go, I am so in love with it... it helped create and carried a human safely and healthily for nine months. If that's not a miracle, what is??

No comments:

Post a Comment