Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Take This, Not That

Deciding what to pack for your epic trip to the hospital to welcome your new baby can be a challenge! Below I've listed what we took that we actually used... and what just took up space in the hospital bag :)

What To Take:

Personal Hygiene Items: I got very lucky with this one because I didn't have to pack a thing. My good friend Sara did this for me. I started going to baby showers shortly before I got married last year. Although I didn't want to think about kids yet, I knew I'd probably have one some day, and if I wanted people at my baby showers I had to go to theirs. So I started going and even found them kind of fun! But one thing I began doing that made them more enjoyable for me was choosing a gift strictly for the mother-to-be, a gift for her to open for herself along with a gift for the baby. We often forget that baby's not the only person needing things here! I would get mom-to-be a soft nightgown or pair of PJ pants or some cute sweats from Victoria's Secret. I can always see the joy in mom-to-be's face when she opens something cute for herself along with all the baby goodies! Sara's gift to me was like a hospital care kit and included lots of necessities such as: toothbrush, toothpaste, hair ties, handy wipes, face wipes, bath loofa, mouthwash, et cetera et cetera! It was such a thoughtful gift and perhaps the most useful thing I received as far as things I really needed. She obviously thought the same thing I did; mom needs things too! So, pick and choose several of these items to have with you in a small bag and keep it in the bathroom. I eventually learned this after having to tip-toe half naked back out into the hospital room to grab my toothbrush or face wash!

Phone and Phone Charger: Chances are, you'll be laying in that hospital bed for quite a while, so you'll need to keep yourself entertained. I'm not much of a TV-watcher, so having my iPhone with  me and keeping it charged up was a must. Unless you've got a fancy camera, you'll also need your phone for lots of pictures of that precious little one!

Tinted Moisturizer and Baby Powder: Skip out bringing your whole makeup bag; all you need is a little color! I put a small amount on for visitors during labor and that Friday night when people came to meet Vaught. As for baby powder, it has a million uses! I used it as dry shampoo and brushed it through my hair Friday and Saturday morning. Baby powder as dry shampoo is a trick I picked up as a sorority girl at Ole Miss; it works the same way as dry shampoo (refreshing strands and soaking up oil on the roots) and helps your hair hold a tease a million times better! I also used it as a light dusting on my face. What can I say, I love the smell!

Magazines: When I got tired of my phone, I always had a magazine on hand. The Tuesday before labor, I stocked up on celebrity gossip magazines and am so glad! I love reading, so I kept them on a table beside my bed for easy access.

Socks: Again, this was taken care of for me in the hospital kit from my friend. I refused to wear those atrocious grandpa socks the hospital had, so for two days straight I wore pink zebra socks that were in the hospital bag. Socks are important especially if you choose to have an epidural; something about it makes you extremely cold, so you'll want your feet to stay warm. Not only that but you don't want to walk around barefoot on a hospital floor... ick!

Size Newborn Onesies: You don't have to get fancy, just pack a couple of tiny onesies to put your tiny baby in. I never guessed Vaught would be as small as he was; even newborn size was a little big on him! His go-home outfit was actually a size 3M, so it was wayyyy too big for him to wear. Thankfully my mother-in-law had picked up a few Ole Miss newborn onesies for him on her way in, so he wore those while we were in the hospital and for the ride home.

Nightgown & Robe: As comfy as those fabulous hospital gowns are, there's never anything as welcoming as your own clothes. I brought my Victoria's Secret nightgown that I've had for several years, along with a matching bathrobe to wear when we had company. It definitely made me feel a little dressier than a hospital gown!

Go Home Outfit for You: Think comfort and you're good to go. I brought a pair of sweats from Victoria's Secret's PINK line, an oversized tank from my sorority days, a soft sports bra, and a pair of flip flops. That's all I needed and the ride home was a breeze.

What to Leave at Home

Swim Trunks: I brought these for Eric in case I wanted him to help me shower, but they stayed at the bottom of our overnight bag. I didn't want anyone in the shower with me following Vaught's birth. I was grateful to get to be naked and alone the day after he was born. Too many people had seen a little too much of me in the past 24 hours.

Nursing Bra: Leave it. You won't be wearing a bra while you're there. I only needed one for the ride home. Actually,  my advice on nursing bras would be to not purchase until you know for sure that you're going to be breastfeeding for a while. I wasted about $30 on these.

Underwear: Wear those super sexy hospital undies for as long as you can because they're amazing. I took enough home to last me just over a week. After checking into the hospital, the nurses will have you strip down and wear nothing but a hospital gown and the next pair of panties you wear will be the gauze, disposable kind. Don't bother bringing your own.

Makeup: If you're going to bring your makeup, just bring two or three necessary items like concealer and mascara or a tinted moisturizer. You're seriously not going to care about wearing a ton of makeup while you're there.

Blankets & Supplies for Baby: The nursery will take care of all of that for you. I ended up taking four receiving blankets home that we still swaddle Vaught in. If you insist, pack two or three diapers. I did run out of diapers in his hospital bassinet one night and luckily had a few in his diaper bag. But you shouldn't need these; just request more when you see you're about to run out!

No comments:

Post a Comment