Thursday, May 15, 2014

SURPRISE!!

      I've always claimed to hate surprises. I'm notorious for snooping through my presents weeks before Christmas and birthdays. I knew Eric was going to propose on my college graduation day; I picked out the ring! I don't know how I ever made it through sorority rush--I can't stand the thought of waiting! And, of course, I have never had a surprise party of any sort--because I cannot stand a surprise!
      But I was completely unsuspecting yesterday afternoon when I went to my friend Amanda's classroom for a junior class meeting. Together we are sponsors of the junior class at the high school where I work, so this meeting seemed completely ordinary, as we are planning a final goodbye project for the senior class. When I got there she said, "Come with me to the library real quick before all the juniors get here." I still didn't suspect anything. We are like two teenage girls together at school: "Come with me to make copies," "Come with me to the teacher's lounge," "Come with me to talk to the principal about such-n-such." Seriously. Other teachers probably make fun of us!
       As we passed a side entrance to the front office, another teacher stuck her head out of the door and said, "Are we all supposed to go to the library?" For just a second I grew suspenseful. I hadn't heard or read any announcements for a meeting of any sort that afternoon. It suddenly dawned on me that we didn't make habits of going to the library after school. I thought to myself, Am I about to walk in on something I wasn't supposed to know about?  Sure enough, we rounded the corner into the foyer, and I could see that the lights were off in the library, yet teachers were filing in. I started grinning because I knew then that something was definitely up! We walked in, the lights came on, and at least a dozen of my closest teacher friends jumped out and yelled "SURPRISE!!!!" I wish my reaction could have been filmed (the pictures were pretty great!) because I know I looked like a total spaz! My only words I could manage were "Is this for me?!" I couldn't believe it!! I stood there for a good 30 seconds looking totally confused until finally I was asked to sit down, have a cupcake, and open gifts!!
          I have found some amazing friends at my school, but I never would have dreamed that they would go through all the trouble to surprise me like this. There were yummy cupcakes on one table, while brightly wrapped presents crowded another. As I opened each sweet, thoughtful gift and thanked each person who came and made it such a special afternoon, I found myself praying for each person. There are some incredible people at my school; these men and women truly care for me and for one another. It's overwhelming to know how loved Vaught and I are. I could never understand the excitement over pregnancy (coming from a girl who always claimed she was never having children), but now I totally get it. Together, my husband and I are bringing a new life into our family, into this world. A new, precious beating heart. A new soul to join us in Heaven one day. That is definitely something to celebrate!
         I will never forget yesterday, just as I will never forget these amazing, loving people I've met at my work. Words can never express just how much the surprise shower and their love and kindess means to me and my family. I love you all so very much!!

 


SURPRISE!!
Presents for Vaught


All of his goodies laid out on the bed in his nursery! Yes, it will look less girly pretty soon!

Already organizing with the wardrobe in his room!


2 comments:

  1. How nice! I have to know where those sweet ole miss onesies and such are from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I'm not entirely sure. I live in Olive Branch; my friend had them monogrammed by a lady up here who monograms and is REALLY talented with it. The person I use is Angie from Angie's Boutique in Holly Springs!

      Delete