Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Rebel Dip

If you're ever asked to bring a dish to a party (tailgating, office get-together, whatever!), rest assured that there is absolutely no way you can go wrong with a dip. As a high school teacher I hosted one or two small get-togethers in my classroom each year and what did my students always ask me to bring? The dip, of course! Because it's not a party without something hot and delicious to pile onto chips or crackers!

     I also have to admit that dips are my biggest weakness, my "problem food," if you will (don't say you don't have one). For some people it's sweets; my mother cannot get enough cake and chocolate! But me? Dips. I can destroy a bowl of Rotel or French onion dip in a matter of minutes. My stomach is a bottomless pit when chips and dip are involved, and self control around the dip bowl has been one of my biggest challenges when trying to eat healthy. Even still, I will always say that a great dip is a staple for a great party!

     Anyway, after the success of my Jalapeno Popper Dip, my husband asked that I give Rebel Dip a go. As you can see, it's a simple recipe from a dish we were given for our wedding, but it's been displayed in our kitchen for nearly two years, and I couldn't believe we hadn't tried it yet. Since I had all of the ingredients we needed, I decided I'd give it a whirl for our dinner Sunday night.

     It's really as simple as the dish says, but I added a leftover jalapeno from Friday night's dip to give it a little extra kick. In addition to that, I sautéed some mixed vegetables, and we had Rebel Dip as an entrée with crackers. I also used all nonfat cream cheese and low fat cheddar cheese. Cheese is cheese at the end of the day, but this did help a little as far as the fat content and calorie count go :) Make it any way you'd like!

DISCLAIMER: You are NOT committing fan blasphemy if you make this dip and are not a Rebel fan (but why wouldn't you be?!) I have seen the same recipe on similar dishes referred to as "Bulldog Dip," "Tiger Dip," Razorback Dip," etc, etc :)


 

This is the cream cheese and hot wing sauce melted together.
I heated it for about two minutes in the microwave and let the
oven do the rest!

My chicken was "chunkier" instead of shredded; I will take the
time to shred it next time!


I asked Eric which of the two dips I've made he liked the most, and he said the jalapeno popper dip, hands down! I have to agree and probably because there's more to that dip. I mean, when bacon is involved you can't go wrong! But I think I could spruce Rebel Dip up next time with some chopped onion and crispy bacon to give it even more flavor. I have to say that when I need a dish fast this will be my go-to!!! Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kate! Where did you get your rebel dip dish? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl, thanks so much! It was a wedding gift, but I'm fairly certain it came from Southern Tradition out of New Albany, MS. Look them up on Facebook if you want. I also think you could find it online from any Ole Miss or Oxford gift shop! We keep it displayed in our kitchen; we love it too!

      Delete