Sunday, August 24, 2014

Game Predictions: Ole Miss 2014

Quick disclaimer: I am not a football analyst, so don't expect super accurate statistics and other crazy numbers. I am a woman who loves college football. I am a devoted Ole Miss football fan. I mean really, I'm naming my son Vaught. One thing I love about my passion for Ole Miss football is that I am not what my husband and I refer to as a "committee fan." Now, there's nothing wrong with being this type of fan. It simply means that you know whether or not your team won their most recent game... and that's about it. You are not staying up every night and waking up early on Sunday morning to watch ESPN or the SEC Network's pre-game/post-game reviews. You don't read the mile-long reports after each and every game your teams plays, noting what did work, what didn't, what went wrong, what your team did right. That's okay. You can be a fan of something and not be "all up in it" in a sense. There is nothing wrong with that! But I pride myself on being a true fan. I bleed red and blue. I'm not ugly or offensive about it, but I know that my team, my school--The University of Mississippi-- is the greatest team, the greatest school in America.
 Just like you know yours is.

You get me, right? Okay. Just had to be sure.

August 28th vs Boise State in Atlanta: A few years ago, I might have been worried. Boise State had a great football program, but they've fallen in the last few seasons. At the end of the 2013 season, Ole Miss held a national record for the most bowl wins, claiming 23 wins of the 35 bowl games they've played in team history and six consecutive wins. This says a lot about my team, including that the Rebels play well in neutral territory. In addition to the slight downfall of Boise State's program, I like that we're playing in Atlanta. I'm going to say it's a win.

September 6th at Vanderbilt: For the second year, we play at Vanderbilt. Although I was thrilled with the season opener victory last year, I hated watching that game. Honestly, the win should not have been that close (39-35), as Vanderbilt is another program that's never been inherently "good," though they have definitely risen in the last few years. Even still, I just feel that they don't compete as well as part of the SEC. Among other things about this team, they have a new head coach. I'm calling this one a win... let's just hope it's significantly better than last year's, points-wise at least.

September 13th vs Louisiana-Lafayette: This is our first home game. Have you ever been in Vaught-Hemingway for the first home game? Or any game for that matter? If not, you're missing out. The Rebels will be on fire. Win. All day.

September 27th vs Memphis: Yet another home game. Memphis's football program hasn't thrived in several years, and I do not expect this year to be any different. Win.

October 4th vs Alabama: This is where it gets interesting. Goodbye to A.J. McCarron (I actually really like him), and the Tide is left without a quarterback--or at least not one with very much game time experience. In addition, they lost several key players to the draft and graduation. Last year, we were expected to win. People made a huge ordeal out of it, but I still kind of knew it wasn't going to happen. Not in 2013. But 2014? With every year, at least in the Freeze era, I feel that the Rebels become more and more powerful. I believe that our "big year" will be 2015, but who says we can't accomplish big things this year? We play Alabama at home for the first time in three years; our last victory versus the Tide was in 2003. Alabama is a power force, they really are. And I acknowledge that and respect it. They're an outstanding team. However, if there's going to be a big upset this year, it will be on October 4th in the Vaught. I'm stepping out on a really shaky limb here... But win.

October 11th vs. Texas A&M: Seriously, the last two games (2012,2013), were won by A&M by the skin of their teeth (I think that's the correct expression.) Without Johnny Football, they are nothing (he'd probably get sexually excited if he read that--gosh, I can't stand him). The third time will be the charm for the Rebs. Win.

October 18th vs. Tennessee: Again, another program that used to so great! I remember the years when Tennessee being a force to be reckoned with! But in the last few seasons, not so much. In addition to that, this is Homecoming for the Rebels. Win.

October 25th vs. LSU: If you weren't there for this last year, you missed it. People who hate dislike Ole Miss were talking about it for weeks--well of course they were-- everyone was! I don't see how ESPN did not include this game in their Top 25 a few weeks ago! This was incredible. I was screaming, laughing, crying, jumping up and down with my husband. This was the game of the season, in my opinion. However, moving forward... LSU is ready to reclaim their dignity. They're a brutal team, quite possibly the most brutal in college football. They're mean and a little bit psychotic in my opinion. They're looking for redemption. And revenge. Seeing as how we are playing in Death Valley this year, I believe they'll get it. It's hard, but I am deeming this one a loss.

November 1st vs. Auburn: It's not as much to do with them as a team as it is Gus Malzahn. I have a lot of respect for that man as a football coach. They're going to be a power house as long as he's there, and I feel that they're looking for another shot to play for a national championship. Loss.

November 8th vs. Presbyterian: WHO? Like I had to Google this team and found them on the second page. Win.

November 22nd vs Arkansas: Really? We smoke whole hogs where I'm from. Pig whoooie???? Win. But for real, Arkansas is trying really hard, they are. But they won't be there for a while. We all have to suffer now and then.

November 29th vs. Mississippi State: I guarantee many of you skipped all the above to get to here. That's understandable--the Battle of the Golden Egg is among the most popular rival games in the nation after all! In 2012, my husband and I were on our way back from Meridian the Saturday of this game. We were 10 miles from the Batesville-Oxford exit on I55, when he turns to me and says, "Baby... let's go to the Egg Bowl." So we ended up in Oxford where we scored tickets for $40 and watched the Rebels mow over the dogs for the first time in three years. It was amazing. But I said it then, and I think it's going to stand true: "For the next two, maaaaybe three years, the home team will win the Egg Bowl." And what do you know? The dogs claimed the trophy in Starkville last year. Now, that was a bit upsetting; I really thought there towards the end the Rebels had a chance, though both teams played horribly, and we all know it. Had Prescott not been put in for the bulldogs, I truly believe the Rebels would have taken home the Egg. This year, the Egg Bowl is in Oxford, and I have to say that I think it will be a fairly easy win for us. For a game like this, the home team always has a major advantage. I read in 2009 that the home team will win the Egg Bowl 8 of 10 times. Mississippi State has the better quarterback--or at least they did at the end of the season last year. But we've got a stronger defense, possibly the strongest in the SEC this year according to ESPN's analysts, and a more powerful offense. I really hope Bo Wallace is as good as he is predicted to be this year. If he can pull himself together, the Golden Egg will be back where it belongs--with the Ole Miss Rebels, making the overall record 62-43-6... Oooooole MISS. Win.

The Rebel in me wants to believe that we really can achieve a 10-2 record. But the Rebel FAN in me knows how tough it will be. If not 10-2, my next bet would be 9-3, and I only say that because the Rebels have a horrible habit of "choking" in important games. Any Ole Miss fan will tell you that being one of us takes a good several years off your life, but I love games like that. Even with this sweet baby coming, I'm looking forward to some good football starting this Thursday in Atlanta.

Are You Ready?



No comments:

Post a Comment