Friday, December 28, 2018

Wet Noodles

Shit happens. We change our minds. Sometimes the things we thought we wanted the most turn out to be not-so-great. Sometimes we have to admit that we did the wrong thing or rushed into a new relationship too soon or gave away something we should have kept or let someone into our familiars before we were ready. 
 
I think that life is nothing but trial and error, just a nonstop cycle of trying things on to gage the fit and see how it looks and feels. Sometimes we need to walk and move around in a new pair of shoes for a while before we decide if they're just right or a bit too small and are pinching our pinky toes, even if just a little bit.
 
A few days before Christmas I had to make a tough decision and walk away from one of the healthiest, most amazing relationships I've ever been in. I had to let down a person I love and respect at what is arguably the very worst time of the year to break up with someone.
 
I'd initially loved the shoes and thought they were a perfect fit. Only after walking around in them a while did I have to finally confront the fact that they were pinching my toes a little. They looked nice; I wanted to hang onto them. But they weren't the right fit.
 
Life really does have a way of throwing curveballs and testing your strength. 2018 has just been a year of trials and joys and really tough decisions. I'm so grateful for friends and family who have my back and support me when I have to do the tough things I wish life came without. In the end though, I'm so thankful for the growth. I'm thankful that I'm able to look back and say, "That was hard, but I did it, and I feel good about it now."
 
Life is just a bunch of wet noodles that we're throwing at the wall--just trying to see what sticks and what's not ready... what needs to spend more time in the pot. It really is okay that sometimes what we thought was meant for us turns out to not be a good fit. Making decisions to set those things free are never easy, but in the end it's worth it, especially when the dust settles and you're happier and so much more at ease. 
 
Whatever it is that's occupying your mind, whatever decision you feel needs to be made- no matter how big or small, no matter how difficult- you're going to feel one thousand times better once you get it out there and set it free. If there's one thing I've learned during this season of trial and error, it's this: don't be afraid to keep throwing those wet noodles at the wall... don't be afraid for the ones that need to go back in the pot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment